Avian influenza (bird flu) in winter 2017 to 2018

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Avian influenza (bird flu) in winter 2017 to 2018

Post by MamaOwl » 03 Dec 2017, 13:14

READ MORE HERE

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Animal & Plant Health Agency
Veterinary & Science Policy Advice Team - International Disease Monitoring
Updated Outbreak Assessment #16
Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5N8 in the UK
and Europe
22nd October 2017 Ref: VITT/1200 Avian Influenza in Europe
Disease report
Since our last update on 29th September 2017, in Europe, reports of H5N8 HPAI have
continued in a number of countries. Italy has reported seventeen more outbreaks of H5N8
HPAI in Bergamo, Brescia, Ferrara, Sondrio, Vicenza and Cremona. The poultry involved
included fattening turkeys and layers and seven smallholdings. In all cases, disease
control measures are in place; most introductions are considered to be primary incursions
with little secondary spread observed. One of the outbreaks was reported in one of the
largest layer farms in Italy, with over 850,000 birds to be destroyed. Wild birds positive for
H5N8 HPAI have been reported in 3 cases (mute swans, Cygnus olor, one in Como and
two cases in Verbano). More information on the individual infected premises can be found
at the website of the Italian regional laboratory (IZSV, 2017)

READ MORE HERE
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

Its4john
Chick
Chick

Re: Avian influenza (bird flu) in winter 2017 to 2018

Post by Its4john » 17 Jan 2018, 09:11

On Monday I heard of a confirmed outbreak at a swan sanctuary in Devon (I think !)

Anyone else aware if this ?

I’m new to chicken keeping and didn’t have any last winter but I do remember the news reports.

Its4john
Chick
Chick

Post by Its4john » 17 Jan 2018, 20:59

I’ve just found this on the Omlet forum

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influ ... ntion-zone

CP

Post by CP » 18 Jan 2018, 09:58

Sorry for not replying sooner but I've been unwell.

It's only been found in Dorset so far but it is likely to spread, so if you haven't been affected yet, now is the time to get ready.

Might be an idea to register for their email alerts too, if you haven't already - I haven't had one yet though. http://animalhealth.system-message.co.u ... _index.php
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Its4john
Chick
Chick

Post by Its4john » 18 Jan 2018, 22:46

Great idea, I’ve just registered but I need to get some precautions underway right now :meoww

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 21 Jan 2018, 22:13

Seems it's country wide now?

I've an old house I am renovating and the top floor is packed full of pigeons... should I be worried about H-flu?

CP

Post by CP » 24 Jan 2018, 00:34

I would seriously try to get them out asap & block their entry. I know they say the current strain doesn't affect humans but you'll have to get them out sooner or later anyway.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 25 Jan 2018, 17:21

It's Saturdays job to seal the entry point... I have NO idea how to get them out of the upstairs rooms though!! I guess I could open the windows and flap a broom about until they leave or drop dead from a heart attack!

CP

Post by CP » 25 Jan 2018, 19:06

:lol: :lol: (missing the 'like' button!)
Happy in Hampshire!

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 30 Jan 2018, 16:17

Me too! I'll have to redo it...

OK didn't get round to blocking the top off or flapping a broom about... have to wait until 10th now as have family coming over to stay......