bald neck pekins

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

bald neck pekins

Post by Kelly-salmon » 08 Mar 2014, 18:15

hi all i have got two of my pekins that are going bald around the top part of their necks they are eating fine and laying well they are around 10 months old and have been treated for any lice or mites although i see no evidence of them can someone give me some idea on what it is please

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: bald neck pekins

Post by kated » 08 Mar 2014, 18:35

Is there a cockerel running with them? He will pull the feathers when he mates with them. If not, then it may be a partial moult (unlikely, but not impossible) or one of them "overgrooming" them or perhaps some feather pecking going on.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: bald neck pekins

Post by drfish » 10 Mar 2014, 11:39

My frizzle pekin goes bald on her head and neck about every 2 months on average. No idea why. It's not pests, doesn't seem to be moulting as she lays throughout, and it doesn't seem to bother her. Other than looking silly, she is just as per the norm.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.