Hunched and swollen. Not a layer

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Imadgehen
Chick
Chick

Hunched and swollen. Not a layer

Post by Imadgehen » 23 Feb 2014, 20:17

Hi. I've returned from a week's holiday to find a sick hen. Friend has been feeding them as normal. Hen is very plumped up and sitting on its tail, looking like walking is too much effort. Crop swollen but enthusiastic appetite. She often looks plumped up and stands around quietly. Her crop is often full as well so those signs may be normal for her. Not sure how old she is but she hasn't laid for a year now.

I lifted her into the nest box tonight and she made no effort to stand up and toppled. I gently righted her and don't know what I can do for her. It looks like EYP but I don't think it can be as she doesn't lay?

NannyP

Re: Hunched and swollen. Not a layer

Post by NannyP » 23 Feb 2014, 20:42

Do some searches on here for impacted crop. If she has an impacted crop, she will be hungry as food is not getting through.

Good luck.

Imadgehen
Chick
Chick

Post by Imadgehen » 23 Feb 2014, 20:50

Ok thanks. I look forward to dealing with that first thing before a day at work....

Imadgehen
Chick
Chick

Post by Imadgehen » 25 Feb 2014, 22:43

It wasn't impacted crop (but I've learnt something from researching it). It was peritonitis and I took the decision to have her euthanised. No diagnosis but vet thought maybe ovarian cancer

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 26 Feb 2014, 10:39

Egg peritonitis can happen without an underlying cause. It's just a cock up in the reproduction system.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.