Lethargic Hen, Watery green / white poo

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

sarahcole37
Chick
Chick

Lethargic Hen, Watery green / white poo

Post by sarahcole37 » 17 Feb 2014, 09:56

Hi

I hope somebody can help.

One of my approx 2 year old pekin bantams is rather under the weather.

When cleaning out their coop at the weekend I noticed a few very green poos. I then noticed that Marigold had a messy vent (white drips down her feathers). I cleaned her up and set her on her way.

This morning she is very lethargic and is simply sitting in the corner with her head tucked away. If I put seeds / mealworms out she tucks into them but then goes back to hiding in the corner.

I have checked her over and other than a messy vent can feel / see nothing obvious.

I got a few nutri drops down her neck earlier but she has not perked up.

I have some tylan soluble but do not know if this will help. The other two girls seem absolutely fine.

Any suggestions / tips / advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Sarah

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Lethargic Hen, Watery green / white poo

Post by crazypianolady » 17 Feb 2014, 10:40

When were they last wormed with a proper wormer? Have you checked the coop for red mite? Do they have any lice etc on them? Could she have eaten anything she shouldn't? How does her crop feel? What colour is her comb?

sarahcole37
Chick
Chick

Post by sarahcole37 » 17 Feb 2014, 10:55

Thank you for your response.

They were last wormed around 3/4 months ago. I worm regularly and can see no sign of worms in her poo.

I have checked for red mite and their are no signs. I clean the coop regularly and use diatom and ant powder as preventatives.

No signs of lice or mites.

Her crop feels fairly empty. Her comb is pale pink (as it has been since she stopped laying in October / November.

I have brought her inside and put her in a box in the warm and dark. She made a break for freedom on the first attempt but went back to huddling in a corner once she made it outside.

Sorry I can't describe any more symptoms. She is just sitting hunched up with her eyes closed.

Thank you

Sarah

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 17 Feb 2014, 11:00

Does she feel at all hot to touch on her underside? Just wondering if she may be egg bound as they will usually start coming back into lay around now.

Any signs of moulting?

Any smelly breath (sour crop)?
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

sarahcole37
Chick
Chick

Post by sarahcole37 » 17 Feb 2014, 11:01

And i forgot to add, yes she could well have eaten something she shouldn't have. They do not free range all the time but have plenty of time roaming the garden. I have no idea what she could have picked up though. A neighbour did have a rat problem and had bait down but that was some time ago. I also think that if she had eaten rat poison she would have dies quite quickly buy maybe I am wrong.

sarahcole37
Chick
Chick

Post by sarahcole37 » 17 Feb 2014, 11:03

Thanks Drfish.

Just picked her up, she is no warmer than usual. Her comb hasn't got redder or larger lately so I would be surprised if she is coming back into lay (she was certainly in no hurry last year).

Her breath doesn't seem to smell.

I don't think she is moulting. She had a mini moult earlier this winter. There are still a few feathers falling out but nothing dramatic.

Thanks

Sarah

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 17 Feb 2014, 12:09

Rat poison would have probably killed her within a few-24 hours, you are correct.

Maybe just a bit of an internal infection or something then. Keep her warm, see if you can give her any pick-me-up food, fish, oats, nuts, try and perk her back up.

If she's no better in a few days, might be worth a trip to the vets. Very difficult to diagnose an animal over the web, with little to no symptoms to work with.

It won't hurt to worm them again even if they were only done 3-4 months ago. It's been a fairly mild winter compared to recent years, so there's a good chance the worm eggs aren't being killed off by the frosts as they normally would. And 3 months is certainly long enough to contract worms again.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 17 Feb 2014, 12:49

I find that the only certain way of knowing whether there are red mite in the coop is to go out at night and run a piece of white kitchen towel along the perch. If there are any red blood marks, then the little beasts are there. You probably know that anyway, but it's worth a mention.

sarahcole37
Chick
Chick

Post by sarahcole37 » 22 Feb 2014, 11:12

Hello again

I'm afraid there is still no improvement with my little hen.

For nearly a week now she has been weak and lethargic. She still follows the others around and eats but has no energy and prefers to just sit hunched up with her eyes closed.

I have been doing lots of research and the only possibility I have come up with is avian tb / "going light". Does this seem like a possibility? Whatever she has is progressing slowly but she does seem to have lost weight.

I understand there is no cure for this but just wondered if anyone had any experience of it and whether I should be concerned about my other 2 girls. They currently seem absolutely fine.

Thank you

Sarah

halfadozen

Post by halfadozen » 03 Mar 2014, 00:38

I'm curious to know how your chicken is now as one of ours has very similar symptoms. Last weekend I noticed our speckledy was quiet and not joining in with the others (we have 6 in total). Then I realised she wasn't eating much at all and had green watery diohrea. Her crop felt slimy and she also seemed to be a bit unsteady on her feet. After a couple of days with no improvement we went to the vet who checkedher ov er and said that aside from the diohrea she was in good health, prescribed some antibiotics, told us to keep her isolated and hopefully improvement should be seen within exploring ys. She has made a slight improvement, eating a little more and showing more interest in exploring the garden but still nothing like normal, the diohrea is still present also.

Any suggestions for treatment much appreciated.

Thanks.

sarahcole37
Chick
Chick

Post by sarahcole37 » 03 Mar 2014, 17:42

Hi there

I am sorry to hear that one of your girls is under the weather.

Sadly my girl died today. I was going to have her put to sleep this afternoon but she obviously knew what was coming so did it her own way.

I tried antibiotics, worming powder, hand feeding...you name it. She did perk up once in a while but had no energy and in the end was terribly thin and was starting to be a little wobbly (I think because she was so thin).

I have read that very green poo is a sign of liver failure. It can also be a sign of a lot of green food in the diet! Marigold's poo was a real emerald green.

I hope you have more luck than I did. I did try my best for her but I think whatever was wrong with her wasn't something that could be cured.

Good luck with your girl

Sarah

halfadozen

Post by halfadozen » 03 Mar 2014, 21:35

Hi Sarah, really sorry to hear about your hen, it is awful to watch them suffer. Ours was worse again this morning and I was half expecting her to succomb. Nevertheless I organised another appointment for the vet and she made it. The vet did a thorough examination and diagnosed inflammation of the ovaries which apparently can affect good layers which she is. Anyway the discomfort is putting her off food and of course eating very little has made her very slow and unsteady plus an upset tummy. She has had some pain killers plus another course of antibiotics and the vet said it is 50/50. Might be wishful thinking but she already seemed to be more interested in food so hopefully she will recover, fingers crossed anyway.