unvaccinated chicks reared by vaccinated hen?

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

unvaccinated chicks reared by vaccinated hen?

Post by jillychick » 14 Feb 2014, 19:45

As I understand it there is an health risk keeping vaccinated and unvaccinated birds together? My question is if I use a vaccinated hen to brood and raise a clutch of chicks what are the risks of the young chicks developing mareks or Infectious bronchitis? Can this happen? And what are the probabilities of infection in the unvaccinated chicks when they reach POL when introduced to the vaccinated flock? Would the chicks build up any resistance to mareks or Infectious bronchitis which my hens are vaccinated against. I would really appreciate any options on this subject as it seems that " the vaccinated v unvaccinated issue " is split in oppion and a little confusing.
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: unvaccinated chicks reared by vaccinated hen?

Post by Henwife » 14 Feb 2014, 20:48

I don't think it makes the slightest diference whether you mix them or not. For years I kept pure beeds of various types, added hybrids which were invariably vaccinated, used whoever went broody to rear chicks, and apart from some hiccoughs when working with Cream Legbars, never had problems that could be laid at the door of mixing vaccinated with unvaccinated birds. The CLBs were kept upwind and well away from all the other poultry as I wanted a Mareks resistant flock. I achieved this, but outbreaks along the way can only have been due to wild bird transmission as I hatched all stock. Vaccination is intended for commercial flocks where they are kept in close proximity and great numbers. Just mix & match to suit yourself.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

subruss

Re: unvaccinated chicks reared by vaccinated hen?

Post by subruss » 15 Feb 2014, 19:15

As above I have never had a problem,infact I have never even thought or heard about there being a problem with it until I read your post and can not see a reason to start worrying about it now :thumbright: .