worms?

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

worms?

Post by jillychick » 23 Jan 2014, 11:44

I am a bit late worming my hens as one of them has been under the weather. Yesterday while cleaning them out I noticed one of the poos had a quite large dead round worm in it, so they are obviously infected. They were last wormed in early September when the 3 new hens had settled down. I was hopeing every 4 months was enough as every 3 seems a bit extreme? As I know that they are infected is it a good idea to up the dose of flubenvet a bit or give it them for a few extra days? Is this safe to do? Thanks
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: worms?

Post by kated » 23 Jan 2014, 11:47

Yes, it is safe to feed them for a longer period on it - just make sure that the only feed they can have is the dosed one.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: worms?

Post by drfish » 23 Jan 2014, 12:38

I've pulled it back to 3 months treatments now, mainly for the ducks as I lost one to worms last year (ducks can have more complications from worms).
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.