very poorly chicken

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

september83
Chick
Chick

very poorly chicken

Post by september83 » 26 Dec 2013, 13:52

Hi

Any advice would be greatly appreciated: My poor chicken, Mary seems very ill and not in the Christmas spirit at all :0( she has been off for a few days now but was still eating treats (mealworm etc) -now she is not eating or drinking at all and will not come out of the coop. I have treated her with Harkamectin (sorry about spelling!) for mites and trying some worming treatment but its very difficult as she is not eating at all now! I have another 2 chickens and they seem fine.

Initial Symptoms were, Messy Vent, Very Pale Comb, puffed up feathers, just standing around. Now today she is just standing in the coop puffed up, pale comb with laboured breathing and her eyes keep rolling back and there seem to be a few clear bubbles coming out of her beak. I am very worried but not sure what I can do to help her. She is normally very skittish but doesn't seem to be bothered moving now and will let me touch her.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: very poorly chicken

Post by kated » 26 Dec 2013, 14:25

Sorry to have to tell you that you will almost certainly lose her quite soon. Once they have reached the stage you describe, it's very hard to bring them back even if you know what the problem is. You did your best, don't beat yourself up.

subruss

Post by subruss » 26 Dec 2013, 15:52

as Kated said, always sad but a part of chicken keeping :( , it doesent sound like you have a group problem :)

september83
Chick
Chick

Post by september83 » 27 Dec 2013, 12:03

Hi

thanks for your posts. Unfortunately she passed away in the coop overnight :( the others still seem fine but will give it a good clean out over the weekend. It is very sad but at least she didn't suffer for too long. x

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 27 Dec 2013, 22:32

So sorry .......... :(
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

CP

Post by CP » 28 Dec 2013, 02:45

So sorry. :cry:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero