soft shells

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

soft shells

Post by jillychick » 21 Dec 2013, 13:42

My leg horn keeps laying soft shelled eggs. I get about 3 a week and 3-4 normal eggs. plenty of oyster Shell is available as well as quality pellets. they free range round the garden so I am a bit confused as to what's going on? Could this indicate an internal problem? She seems happy enough no sign of illness. She is about 1 year old now.
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Re: soft shells

Post by Lindsay » 21 Dec 2013, 15:11

Try giving her some cod liver oil mixed with her food.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 30 Dec 2013, 17:59

They get cod liver oil regularly. Has passed another one today but not so often now does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on thanks
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 30 Dec 2013, 18:48

What age is the hen ?

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 30 Dec 2013, 19:46

About 1 year old :)
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 30 Dec 2013, 20:53

Sometimes poultry like people don't alwayts eat whats good for them and even though you've supplied all the right things it doesn't always equate that a chickens going to take it in. Try Shell max, a liquid calcium supplement thats added to water.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 30 Dec 2013, 23:34

You think it's deffenetley a calcium deficiency? Would having a very light moult cause that? As she looks a bit tatty at the moment and noticed today she is a bit thin on feathers round the chest area. At first I thought it might be mites/ lice but checked all birds none detected.I will sort out some extra calcium. Will some extra protein help?

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 31 Dec 2013, 09:36

No just try shell max, if they are getting a good diet which by the sounds of things they are, its just a calcium deficiency which is the usual cause of soft shells. It can be a genetic problem with the hens but before looking for complex answers lets try the simple solution first.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 31 Dec 2013, 11:06

Shell max it is then, can I get it on web? EBay? As I don't think my local hen supplies shop is open this week many thanks.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 31 Dec 2013, 11:26

ladyplumber wrote:About 1 year old :)
Yeah i should have seen that in the question :roll:
The only reason i asked is i have a hen who is coming up to about thirty months of age,she has been a fantastic layer up until about 3 months ago and then started producing very large eggs with weak inferior shells,looks healthy,eats the best of grub,forages well and has access to and takes in good mixed poultry grit but it makes no difference.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 31 Dec 2013, 11:40

I recently had one who went through a phase like that laffinfowl, but I started adding equine limestone flour to their feeder for a couple of weeks, and although I still got the occasional fragile shell, she seems to be ok now - laying normally since her moult :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 31 Dec 2013, 12:15

Yes mine was laying large eggs before it started so it seems that combined with a bit of a moult( which I don't expect a full one as she's in her first full winter?) She's using more calcium than she's taking in.
Lady plumber what is equine limestone flour? Sorry about the questions but I'm really interested

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 31 Dec 2013, 14:58

Jillychick, the stuff I get is called "Requisite" limestone flour, which comes in a 1kg green and white tub from any equestrian feed store or horsey stuff supplier.

It was only £2 odd for the tub :grin:

I put about 2 tblsp in about 6kg of pellets after first coating the pellets in a little veg oil ( or cod liver oil ), in much the same way as you do when using Flubenvet :thumbright:

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 31 Dec 2013, 16:27

ladyplumber wrote:I recently had one who went through a phase like that laffinfowl, but I started adding equine limestone flour to their feeder for a couple of weeks, and although I still got the occasional fragile shell, she seems to be ok now - laying normally since her moult :thumbright:
I actually did consider using limestone flour to see if it would rectify the problem but as all other hens are producing strong shells on the same feed i did,nt bother,we,re also on very good limestone ground here so i,ve come to the conclusion that its the birds that are very good layers in the first 18 months that seem to go this way for some reason,her sister was also atop layer but succumbed to being egg bound in her second year.