Definitive help for the spring - redmite

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Definitive help for the spring - redmite

Post by drfish » 08 Mar 2011, 11:59

Not read the entire thread, but haven't seen it mentioned on the red-mite fact sheet, has anyone tried to use Neem Oil to control pests.

I use it frequently in my greenhouse over summer, and it kills everything dead, and that includes Red Spider Mites which as any horticulturist will tell you, are a nightmare to get rid of.

It's perfectly safe for mammals, birds, fish etc, but is a very very effective insecticide.

Just mix a tablespoon of pure neem oil to a litre of warm water, and spray liberally. It's not only a contact killer, it's systemic, so it will eventually kill off any that missed the initial spray.

Works for me, and it's a bargain at around £10 a litre from amazon.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 08 Mar 2011, 16:13

Thankyou for that drfish - will definately try it =D>
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 09 Mar 2011, 23:54

Hmmm - I've got my doubts about these 'organic' so called mite killers. I've been using diatom in copious amounts for a while and the red red mite don't seem too bothered.

Poultry shield sprayed all over the place week after week - made no visible difference - still lots of fat red mite wandering around... :evil:

So ..... I went to Ant Powder (non organic) - just wade through this as well no worries..... and seem to settle and nest up in it... :roll:

So now on a recommended barrier spray - 'Active ant and crawling insect killer' thats meant to act as a killer / barrier to all those that cross it... red mite just seem to stroll across it no bother....!!

Maybe they've genetically modified to overcome all these 'killers'.....

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 10 Mar 2011, 00:41

You seem to have a super breed of Red Mite Dannyson,looks like dynamite might be your only option :-k

drfish

Post by drfish » 10 Mar 2011, 11:32

All mites will build up a tolerance to anything you throw at them. The best ways are usually to alternate treatments and try and work around the life cycle of the bugs. Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, but I do have a lot of knowledge of spider mites, and red mites are pretty much the same kind of pest, albeit not as hardy as a spider mite, so therefore, easier to eradicate.

I would recommend good old fashioned Scots Bug-Off or similar, available at most DIY/garden centres (it contains Bifenthrin, systemic insecticide) and alternate it with neem oil. After a few treatments you should have them under control at least, then it's just a case of beating them at their own life cycle.

Spraying with soapy water will also help control them, as soap blocks their breathing ventricles which then suffocates them slowly. Plus most mites hate damp conditions. A few drops of organic washing up liquid mixed into a 5 litre spray, and drench everything every 3 days to break the breeding cycle, and then use insecticide/neem oil alternated every 10 days.

I guarantee they will be gone with in a month.

Also, ladybirds are your greatest ally against any insect mites, due to the fact that they primarily eat mites in nature, and will stick around if there is a good food source available. Obviously, don't mix ladybirds with the pesticide as this will result in their death. They are quite resilient to neem oil though as their casing protects their ventricles.

I always collect them and put them in my greenhouse. Most of them stay in there over the summer.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 11 Mar 2011, 00:00

drfinch - thanks for your response - interesting - though I'm not sure how a systemic bug spray will 'kill off the ones that were missed' - as I understood systemic had to develop / be absorbed by a living plant? - I'm no expert mind - just wondered how it would work in a hen house situation?

I am keen to give the neem oil a try though ... as everything else has failed and the mites are wandering around big fat and red having a good time in the ant powder/diatom/insect crawler killer / smoke fumigation / poultry shield etc, etc.... They all seem to sit on the newspaper I put down in the coop area where the hens poo on - and I gleefully run my gloved hand over them and pop them - and I clean up every day....!! ](*,)

So maybe instead of creating a dry environment with the powders maybe I should make it oily?..... :-k

Though I am struggling to find neem oil on amazon for £10 a litre - eg 500ml Neem Carrier Oil - £13.50 or 1000ml £19.50 - which type of neem oil do I need please?

drfish

Post by drfish » 11 Mar 2011, 10:29

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1000ml-Neem-car ... 67&sr=8-13

That's the one, but by crikey, that's shot up in price. It was £10.99 when I bought some around July last year.

You are quite correct that systemic is not the word I was meant to be using. I've messed my own brain up with my greenhouse referencing. In reference to what I was referring to, I meant a contact pesticide that affects the neuro system of the mites, rather than the traditional ones that tend to just suffocate them. Neem does both, Bug off is good as a first treatment and should be safe once it's dried.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 13 Mar 2011, 00:23

Well - I've ordered some neem oil as I've tried just about everything else bar steam/fire. Gone through a can of bug killer in a week and just searched the kitchen for more - found 'raid' so will give that a go.....

It really is rather depressing ..... and I feel sorry for the hens who have to suffer these bloody things... puts me off keeping chickens to be honest.

Still - I shall keep at it ....... trying to keep on top of the bugs that is...

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 15 Mar 2011, 23:14

Well ... got my neem oil today - and sprayed it liberally all around the hen house ... made the mistake of not mixing it with warm water - so had globules of the stuff.

Will be interesting to see over the next few weeks what difference if any it makes....

Also spraying with some general bug killer I use on my plants ....

'Raid' as well but concerned the residue of some of this stuff will 'taint' the eggs....

drfish

Post by drfish » 16 Mar 2011, 14:32

Warm water is a must, as you've now discovered.

I also add a few drops of washing up liquid to disperse the surface tension which helps to mix it better.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

xxchicketyboooxx

Post by xxchicketyboooxx » 18 Mar 2011, 14:11

Being a tad simple....i want to try this myself...how do i make this up how much neem oil to water etc??? sorry :oops: :oops:

Shonagh
Chick
Chick

Post by Shonagh » 18 Mar 2011, 14:27

I'm pretty new to this chicken thing. Got them in September so this is the first time I have had the redmite worry.

Does everyone get redmite? I ask as my neighbour has chickens too so if I'm treating and she is not will I ever be able to get rid?

Is this the time of year they start and do they carry on till the end of the summer? I'm hoping I will be lucky and not have a problem but I am a bit worried. I do treat their coop at every clean and have had no sign of any trouble at this stage.

Thanks.

drfish

Post by drfish » 18 Mar 2011, 16:19

My basic formula for Red Spider Mite (organic matter eating mites) was around a tablespoon of oil to a litre of warm water, and a few drops of fairy liquid which acts as a wetting agent, thus removing surface tension in the water so the oil can mix thoroughly and making it's application last longer rather than just run off.

I use a 5 litre spray bottle, like you would use to spray a fence panel. That way, you can direct the nozzle of the gun to any angle and get the nooks and crannies. If you don't use it all, it will keep pretty much indefinitely, but best to keep at room temp so the oil and water don't separate.

This is just a rough guide, as I haven't had a go at chicken Red Mites with it yet. But you can afford to alter the ratios of oil/water quite significantly as it's organic oil at the end of the day, nothing toxic to us or the chooks.

Might also help to rub a little into their legs too as it is recommended to use on the skin to treat eczema and other skin conditions, but this is not something I have ever done, so would need to research the idea a little.

If Red Mites are anything like spider mites, they will float around in the air to find new hosts, literally blowing in the wind. Therefore, mites in a close proximity will almost certainly 'sniff' your chooks out and make a new home with them as soon as you have cleared your infestation up. So yes, definitely a good idea to treat in tandem with your neighbour. I would imagine there's some possibility of regular wild birds and other insects also carrying them around with them from place to place.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 19 Mar 2011, 00:39

Arrrgh!! #-o ... and there I was thinking you had used this stuff on red 'chicken' mite .. not just red spider mite which is clearly a totally different insect that lives on plants and NOT animal blood - jesus!! I'm very disappointed and wished you had mentioned this before hand...... ](*,) I almost sussed it when you talked about it being 'systemic'!! ... should have .. ](*,) I did wonder why 'tweedy' and other regulars had not made a comment.....

Anyway - I've got the stuff and will continue using it to see if it does work - and will add a few drops of washing up liquid - as it is a nightmare to keep 'oily'. .... still annoyed you recommended it on a chicken forum for pests but have not tried it beforehand on such.... :roll:

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 19 Mar 2011, 01:04

Shoangh - no - I don't think everyone gets red mite - but I'm sure a lot of keepers get it without realising they have it. It is very difficult to detect until the hens become obvious with red bellys and feather free 'behinds'. They clearly target the ones that don't roost properly like my 'black rocks' that insist on roosting on the floor of the hen house..

I would take every precaution though if I started again...... what with I'm not sure - probably diacom - though it made no obvious difference in my case.. or ant killer - just as useless.

Probably just spray the whole shooting match with a bog standard bug killer once a week ......