Whodunnit?

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Whodunnit?

Post by Henwife » 24 Jan 2014, 10:34

My unfenced bantams, all 11 of them, sleep in four different houses and lay in a fifth. This is on scaffold poles about 18" from the ground so they have to fly up to the pophole. In each of the two nestboxes is a golf ball and a small rubber egg. I collect their eggs in the evening when I shut their houses. The other evening, both rubber eggs were missing, but eggs & golf balls in place. I don't shut this house at night, so assume the rubber eggs were removed then, but whodunnit?
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Whodunnit?

Post by drfish » 24 Jan 2014, 10:45

Maybe a big crow or something, getting a little confused? :grin:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

subruss

Post by subruss » 24 Jan 2014, 13:27

They have just been pushed out of nest box and being rubber bounce off to who knows where :)

subruss

Post by subruss » 24 Jan 2014, 13:30

During the chicken world tennis competition one of your bantams has hit them over the fence :)

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 24 Jan 2014, 14:59

Rats? Perhaps the rubber eggs were lighter than the laid ones, and they took the easy option.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 24 Jan 2014, 16:18

The rubber eggs are heavier than the real ones. There is a deep lip to the nest boxes, but even if they had managed to chuck out from both nestboxes on the same night, the eggs should have been caught under the floor perches, and there is another lip at the pophole. I've never known crows going after eggs at night - I have had them thieving in daylight from houses where they can stand at the pophole and look in - and athletic rats are an outside possibility, though they're not usually stupid. I fancy he idea of tennis playing birds myself - the eggs have a most erratic bounce.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 24 Jan 2014, 16:41

It would be like a Benny Hill sketch, watching them all chasing after a bouncy ball that's randomly changing direction :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.