Strange lump on chicken. What is it?

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

WileECoyote
Chick
Chick

Strange lump on chicken. What is it?

Post by WileECoyote » 12 Nov 2013, 15:40

One of my hens has a strange lump on her back near her tail. At first I thought it was a tick but it was much too large for that, certainly much larger than the ticks I've seen on dogs. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera handy at the time and it was difficult enough to catch the hen. It is a little longer than 1/2 inch, inflamed red/pink tapering down in size towards the tip with a white head. It is approx the thickness of a pencil. I held the hen while my wife put some methylated spirits on the lump, no sign of movement so I don't think it was a tick. She pulled on the head with some pliers but it didn't move. She tried squeezing it too with the pliers and it seemed quite solid. No puss or blood came out. Any ideas what this is? Sorry I can't readily provide a photo.
Always remember to close your chicken coop door:
Sunset reminder application for Windows 7, Vista and XP computers.
http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SunsetReminder.htm

foxy

Re: Strange lump on chicken. What is it?

Post by foxy » 12 Nov 2013, 16:01

It is completely natural and is basically their preening gland

http://chickens.wikia.com/wiki/Uropygial_gland

WileECoyote
Chick
Chick

Post by WileECoyote » 12 Nov 2013, 16:18

Thank you! That is very reassuring. I'll leave it alone then.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 12 Nov 2013, 18:17

I am not laughing - honest ;) But your post reminded me of the time I spotted a tick on my Great Dane's tummy. Only after he squeaked pathetically did I have a closer look and stop trying to twist one of his nipples off with the tick remover. Luckily he is very forgiving ...

WileECoyote
Chick
Chick

Post by WileECoyote » 12 Nov 2013, 19:30

Your post just creased me up laughing. I'm really embarrassed too. My poor chicken. That "lump" just didn't look like it belonged there, certainly not part of the chicken. I'm just glad we didn't pull too hard. When I read (above) that it was the preening gland I felt physically sick that I'd been accidentally hurting the chicken due to my ignorance. She seems OK though; she'll likely be more difficult to catch in future though... not that I could blame her.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 12 Nov 2013, 19:52

You,re not the first and you certainly won,t be the last...........now you know where the preen gland is :thumbright:

subruss

Post by subruss » 13 Nov 2013, 11:09

This just shows how valuable sites like this are. there are no stupid questions, and you have probably put a lot more peoples minds at rest than you think :thumbright:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 13 Nov 2013, 13:30

I went through a similar 'what on earth is that?' situation when I first got mine. Fortunately I did a quick google search prior to breaking out the pliers :mrgreen:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.