Poultry shield and red mites

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

ridwaan3895
Chick
Chick

Poultry shield and red mites

Post by ridwaan3895 » 29 Sep 2013, 18:40

I had a bit of a red mite disaster this summer. I went on holiday and had the neighbours looking after the hens. When I came back, red mites everywhere, I've never seen so many in my life. Thankfully none of the birds were lost. I went over the whole thing with a heat gun and covered in diatom. I've been over the coop with poultry shield a couple of times and there are hardly any left. But does poultry shield actually kill the mites, or was it the heat gun that did the damage. I thought I'd test this out by putting some mites in a piece of paper and spraying them. They went still but when the liquid dried they started walking again (although like they were drunk). So back to my question, am I killing the mites when spraying them with poultry shield, does it take time for hem to die, hence hey walked of, or am I wasting my time with poultry shield.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Poultry shield and red mites

Post by crazypianolady » 29 Sep 2013, 18:52

I've had success in clearing red mite from my Green Frog houses using Poultry Shield. I make it up at the recommended dilution rates for red mite treatment, using hot water. It turns green when it touches the red mite (I think it's the blood in the mites). A good brush using a soft household brush to clean the plastic, let it dry, and the mites are gone.

:)

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 29 Sep 2013, 19:27

CPL must be one of the few who've had success with Poultry Shield, many people myself included have had little success. Personally I find its rather like throwing money down the drain. If you are going to use anything, buy Ficam. Its does what it says on the label and keeps on working for some time after applying.
Even if you've used a heat gun you've only killed the adults you can see, not the eggs.
Ficam is also cheaper and makes more.

ridwaan3895
Chick
Chick

Post by ridwaan3895 » 29 Sep 2013, 23:48

Ok, I think I'll have to get some ficam then. The numbers have reduced but they still seem to be popping out of places. I decided to go over all the nooks and crannies inside the coop with wood sealant to block them off inside and stop them from reentering. Fingers crossed this works. Also I've read that they like living in the felt roof. Should I rip it off or not?

rebecca
Chick
Chick

Post by rebecca » 30 Sep 2013, 07:22

I have just ripped the felt off my spare coop and gloss painted over it. Hopefully the gloss will not only seal up the gaps but make it easy to clean. Looks lovely too.
I have just come to the conclusion that whatever one does the the little devils will find a way, so for me, a very, very small scale keeper, twice weekly checking is a must. Oh and I also Vaseline all over too. Then if I have to I can move the ladies over to the spare coop.