Ficam W - Anyone used it in the house?

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Ficam W - Anyone used it in the house?

Post by drfish » 26 Sep 2013, 11:07

I seem to be fighting a constant battle with cat fleas at the moment. I think the issue is that they are in the house, and despite using frontline regularly, they keep coming back. The issue is not so much with the cats, they don't seem bothered. It's my poor little dog Alfie. He's constantly riddled with them. So much so, I covered him in diatom this morning, he was scratching that much (was frontlined 3 weeks ago).

So, I thought sod it, I'll get some Ficam W and blitz the house with it, plus I can do the coops if there's any left.

So, anyone used it in the house? Any specific recommendations. Obviously gloves, dust mask and good ventilation. But I figured I'd do the beds and everything just to be on the safe side. Can't see any specific advice regarding spraying beds, but I'd imagine it should be ok once it's dry and the fumes are gone.

Seems to be ok to use with a preggers lady in the vicinity, but I'll send her and the kids out anyway while I do it. Dogs and cats can stay outside out of the way, so it's just finding somewhere for my cockroaches and the bearded dragon that's out of the range of the spray (obviously it will kill my year old colony of cockroaches).
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Re: Ficam W - Anyone used it in the house?

Post by son of eddy » 26 Sep 2013, 17:11

Well as one of its intended uses are for bed bugs, then there should be no issue using it on upholstery.
But I'd suggest avoiding polished wood furniture.
There's mounting believe that Frontline is ineffective against fleas. I think you need to treat everything/body/person all at the same time, so as to totally eradicate the problem. Once you've sprayed the house, wash the dog in an insecticidal shampoo. For tips on using insecticidal dog shampoo as a shower gel for yourself well I'm sure CPL will be able to give you advice on that after all her sessions battling with red mite. :lol:

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 26 Sep 2013, 18:59

I used Acclaim - brilliant stuff ! Lasts for up to a year too x
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

drfish

Post by drfish » 27 Sep 2013, 09:12

son of eddy wrote:Well as one of its intended uses are for bed bugs, then there should be no issue using it on upholstery.
But I'd suggest avoiding polished wood furniture.
There's mounting believe that Frontline is ineffective against fleas. I think you need to treat everything/body/person all at the same time, so as to totally eradicate the problem. Once you've sprayed the house, wash the dog in an insecticidal shampoo. For tips on using insecticidal dog shampoo as a shower gel for yourself well I'm sure CPL will be able to give you advice on that after all her sessions battling with red mite. :lol:
I did note the reference to bed bugs, and a friend of mine used to work for the council and he said it's what they use when they do pest exterminating in houses. I presumed that polished wood and such may be a bit of an issue, but I don't think I actually have any other than the reptile vivariums, so I think I can probably steer around that. The cats often sleep on my eldests top bunk, so I want to give that a once over too.

I've always had no issues with Frontline, until this year. It's like they've built up a resistance to it. My Staffy never gets fleas, but she stinks so I'm sure that has something to do with it :grin: It's just the little hairy chihuahua x Chinese hairless crested that seems to attract them. I think the cats are just carriers, they don't seem affected either. But the poor dog spends most of his time breakdancing on the floor.

We have some insecticide shampoo (Permethrin based), so I'll give the dogs a going over with that.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 27 Sep 2013, 17:45

drfish wrote: the poor dog spends most of his time breakdancing on the floor.
Like this? \:D/
ImageImage
This might prove useful.
http://howto.yellow.co.nz/home-garden/h ... festation/
Cats may be carriers but unless you prevent them carrying the infestation is going to come back.

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Post by sunnys » 28 Sep 2013, 10:52

i did hear a story a while back that there were counterfit animal drugs about and that frontline was one of the ones copied- well copied wrong word- they copied packaging but the liquid was mostly water.... would explain sudden ineffectiveness of product

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 29 Sep 2013, 10:23

Our vets prescribe Stronghold now as its more effective than Frontline.

drfish

Post by drfish » 30 Sep 2013, 09:51

I've actually complained to the manufacturer, who responded with the traditional scripted "Our product is the market leader...blah blah blah". After this, I have done some research and it seems it's a fairly universal theme here and over the pond, that Frontline in the last 12 months has become ineffective. Allegedly, they have changed the dispersant formula and it no longer covers the animals properly. Sounds feasible, as poor Alfie is constantly rooting round his back end. Although last time I treated them, I did put some near his tail too, so it clearly made no odds.

Just need to find a new pump sprayer from somewhere. All mine are covered in creocote or anti-red-mite concoctions. Apparently though, no one buys pump sprayers in September :roll: Gonna have to get one off the web.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 07 Oct 2013, 15:20

So how did the job go? Has everyone stopped itching?

drfish

Post by drfish » 07 Oct 2013, 15:43

Still not got round to it yet :oops:

The trick is finding a relatively nice day, where I have time, so I can kick the animals and humans out for the day while I do it. Although, everything has now been flea'd (again, courtesy of 4 x 6 pippettes on gratis from Frontline).

I've also anally vacuumed the house daily from top to bottom, including cracks and crevices, and moving sofas etc, and boil washed all related bedding paraphernalia. No new bites as yet, but I'm not counting my chickens (or fleas) until I've done the 'Shake and Ficam'

The dog seems to have temporarily stopped trying to screw himself into the carpet, but this was the case every time I frontlined previously, but only lasted about 2 weeks.

Hopefully, I'll get chance this weekend as for once, I have nothing planned job-wise :mrgreen:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 07 Oct 2013, 21:20

we had a problem with the dogs and fleas when we moved here frontline shampoo you name it we tried it then a seresto collar pricey but they last 7 months , last week both dogs started scratching and we saw just 1 flea on each checked the calendar the collars were out of date down to the vets and back to no fleas again worth every penny and cheaper than frontline in the end lots of feral cats around and hedgehogs so think they are the hosts no carpets in the house thank goodness and all the dogs beds washable though I steam cleaned them too overkill lol

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 07 Oct 2013, 21:21

not had any ticks either so bonus !

drfish

Post by drfish » 08 Oct 2013, 08:52

Never had an issue with ticks, touch wood. My mates Jack Russell had one once, right on the top of it's forehead. Persistent little bugger, we were trying to burn it off with spent matches but it was having none of it. Ended up having to go to the vets to have it removed.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 08 Oct 2013, 11:26

as I have a CAG I have to be very careful what I use in the house the collars look after the dogs with no hassle for me lol

drfish

Post by drfish » 17 Dec 2013, 17:19

Update to this:

I did the Ficam business a couple of weeks ago, de-flead everything again with Frontline, and touch wood, no problems so far. Not seen a flea on Alfie since I did the house, and he's done very little scratching at all. Certainly not been obsessively scratching like he was before.

I've only used half the Ficam too, so I'm doing the coop with it when I clean them out at the weekend.

Ficam rules!!! :thumbright: :mrgreen:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.