Hindsight - Such a wonderful thing

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Hindsight - Such a wonderful thing

Post by drfish » 02 Sep 2013, 11:13

Throughout August, as the kids have been off, I've taken some time off work and gone to many places, travelled around a bit, generally had some good fun and enjoyed some family time.

However, the downside to all this, the poultry has taken a back burner and I've given them minimal attention for the last 3 weeks or so. And yes, you guessed it, I'm now paying for it in the form of little red vampires.

Decided that the ammonia was getting a little too heavy on the sinuses and cleaned out all 3 coops yesterday. Growers coop, fine. Duck coop, fine. Main chicken coop, a sea of red crawling bitey things. The chickens have had a mini moult of late and stopped laying, which I didn't really pay much attention too. So I went into the coop expecting to just do a rather large scale cleaning job, and ended up spending the whole of yesterday afternoon in there, attacking them on all fronts. Got through 1kg of Diatom, and 3 bottles of Ant Powder, as well as 2 litres of my home made bleach/salt/neem oil/fairy liquid/citronella mixed with boiling water.

Fortunately, the nest boxes and poop tray are plastic and removable, and that seems to be where the bulk of them where. So I took them well up the garden and pressure washed them using the hot tap :angryfire: :P

I've checked again this morning and there doesn't appear to be any swarms again as yet, so I think I've killed the first wave. See how we're doing come mid-week, then tackle up and set about them again like John Rambo!

If all else fails, I'll Ficam the buggers.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Hindsight - Such a wonderful thing

Post by crazypianolady » 02 Sep 2013, 11:26

Good luck!

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 02 Sep 2013, 17:16

Typical ........ you work ........... you take time off relaxing with the family then the red devils move in = stress levels back up again :roll:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 03 Sep 2013, 09:30

To be honest, I should have expected it really. I thought I'd got away with it quite lightly this year. They were just waiting for the opportune moment to strike. Sneaky little bar-stewards.

I've been experimenting in my wheelie bin. I put all the shavings and everything in there, as it's well away from the chickens and I haven't got anywhere to do a fire at the moment. They've been gradually building up around the rim of the bin, with a view to escape I'd imagine. So I've been pelting them with various concoctions from the kitchen. They don't like bleach, but do survive it. Fairy liquid screws them over quite well, but fly/wasp spray is by far the most effective with a 100% kill ratio. Lift the bin lid, give them a light coating and then put a good spray in the bin and shut the lid. If only it were that easy in a coop :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

noisette
Chick
Chick

Post by noisette » 03 Sep 2013, 23:13

Hmmm..that's interesting :-k Most fly sprays contain cypermethrine. I've been doing battle for ownership of my house with wasps for 7 years now and have finally discovered that spraying the entire roof and terrace with a 20% solution does the trick. It acts as a repellent and kills all the wasps already nesting under the tiles. So I wonder if it's the answer to the perennial red-mite problem too? It's not officially available over here as a concentrate, but maybe it is in the UK??