Weld Mesh Floor

Moderator: Moderators

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Weld Mesh Floor

Post by PixieDust » 04 Aug 2014, 15:53

Quick question.

The soil here is clay and one side of the run is on a part of the lawn which we believe used to be an old cinder track. It is full of stones and cider and flint. Took OH half a day to dig 3 post holes and he is used to digging heavy clay in his line of work. So my questions is thus: as much as I want to have the weld mesh dug in, could we not put in a weld mesh floor to the run and cover with the woodchips as we intended?

He is very exhausted from work at the mo and his stalling is because of having to dig in the weld mesh so deep. We would probably still dig in around 6" but not as deep as we had intended.
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

subruss

Re: Weld Mesh Floor

Post by subruss » 04 Aug 2014, 16:17

What are you defending against moles :lol: if the ground is that hard 6in will be enough, foxes normally look for a weak, broken or soft spots to get in through, remember foxes are canny if the effort to get in outweighs the reward he will not bother. :thumbright: just like your OH would like to do :lol:

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 04 Aug 2014, 17:52

Instead, you could fold 12" to 18" outwards at rightangles on the surface and cover this with earth.

I've read somewhere that when a fox digs to try to get under an enclosure, it's usually within 6" from the fence, any further and it gives up.
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 05 Aug 2014, 09:24

I was thinking this. But I am trying to be ultra safe. There are apparently rats around here though I have never seen any.
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

farmer Warren
Chick
Chick

Post by farmer Warren » 06 Aug 2014, 11:02

i had the same problem so i sited mine ontop of weld mesh and it sticks 2 foot out the sides and i cover it with about 3 inches of wood chip nothings ever got in since