Converted kennel

Moderator: Moderators

jamie_wd
Chick
Chick

Converted kennel

Post by jamie_wd » 24 Jul 2014, 13:39

Afternoon all.

I thought I would put up a few photos of my chicken's abode (made from a converted kennel).. I'm thick skinned to feel free to tell me what should/could be improved!

Here it is to start with.

A standard kennel with a storage box. We fixed the storage box to the side and cut an access hole - this is now obviously the nesting box.

Here they are, opened. No access hole cut yet, but a home-made perch has been added and the thick rubber/poly flaps removed. I used the legs from an adjustable shelving unit to create runners above and below for the pop-hole.

I think the hole we cut to the nest box is too small - I didn't anticipate the size of bluebells! I will be lending my dad's jigsaw and opening this out a bit. I'm not sure they are comfortable squeezing in there.

The run. It is 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.1m at the moment, though I will be extending it in the future (I will need to move a shed first and I'm not sure how sturdy it is). I've also removed some of the bits and pieces from the run to give them more foraging space.

There was a "porch" with the kennel which they like to sit on (top of the pecking order on the highest bit).

There is also a viewing gallery, where we sit to have chocolate spread sandwiches and watch the ladies!

Diane
Hen
Hen

Re: Converted kennel

Post by Diane » 24 Jul 2014, 14:51

I think that's wonderful. :grin:

I'm assuming the window is for ventilation and is meshed?

jamie_wd
Chick
Chick

Post by jamie_wd » 24 Jul 2014, 15:10

It's left half-open to ventilate and isn't currently meshed -- I had forgotten to do that! It was on the list, honest. :oops:

It's not big enough for an escape of course, but I had meant to wire it against rats. I will be doing that tonight!

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 24 Jul 2014, 15:16

It's still wonderful =D>

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 24 Jul 2014, 20:14

Fabulous!
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

jamie_wd
Chick
Chick

Post by jamie_wd » 24 Jul 2014, 20:19

Not quite big enough yet, I don't think :grin: :grin:

They are getting a lot more confident when we're around, though.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 25 Jul 2014, 08:56

Doesn't take them long to accept you as 'the hand that provides goodies' :grin:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 25 Jul 2014, 10:22

I would suggest raising it higher off the ground you could then hang the feeder underneath and also prevent vermin(rats) from having a nice place to drag food under.
I would also suggest drilling a row of 2inch holes in the front and back up as high as possible for proper ventilation,airflow needs to be over their heads to remove stale air and any fumes from droppings.The window will just provide a draught rather than an airflow and thats what you need to avoid really.Good luck with your birds :thumbright:

jamie_wd
Chick
Chick

Post by jamie_wd » 25 Jul 2014, 14:17

laffinfowl wrote:I would suggest raising it higher off the ground you could then hang the feeder underneath and also prevent vermin(rats) from having a nice place to drag food under.
I would also suggest drilling a row of 2inch holes in the front and back up as high as possible for proper ventilation,airflow needs to be over their heads to remove stale air and any fumes from droppings.The window will just provide a draught rather than an airflow and thats what you need to avoid really.Good luck with your birds :thumbright:
Thanks - I thought about ventilation above and did prop the lid open an extra inch or two last night as it was very warm. I will drill some extra holes to allow for more air flow on a permanent basis. I hadn't thought it would need to be that much, but I will get it sorted.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 25 Jul 2014, 16:19

The coop is really only to keep the rain off them overnight. Given a choice, most chickens would find a suitable tree to sit in. As long as the draft from the vents doesn't blow directly at them, more is better. They don't need to be kept warm in winter, but do need help cooling down in summer.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.