flubenvet and chicken death

Moderator: Moderators

soufle
Chick
Chick

flubenvet and chicken death

Post by soufle » 16 Jul 2014, 20:55

A couple of months ago I started worming a group of young hens with Marriages / flubenvet .A day or so later two looked ill and died very quickly ,I put the rest back on their normal pellets . I thought it was red mite that had caused it. Ive been on top of the coop cleaning and am sure I have got rid of the mites. last Friday I decided that as these birds hadnt had a proper worming session I better put them on the Marriages/flubenvet. I could tell that they wernt very keen on it and were eating very little. Tonight I noticed one sitting in the dust bath ,obviously not well. I wouldnt be surprised to see it dead in the morning.
Has anyone else had problems with the Marriages /flubenvet combination.?
Ive used it twice on another ,older group with seemingly no problem ,however it does seem to be too much of a coincidence thats as soon as I put the younger group on it one or more becomes ill.

ladyplumber

Re: flubenvet and chicken death

Post by ladyplumber » 16 Jul 2014, 22:52

I haven't heard of or had any problems with Marriages/Flubenvet, but another possibility is that the red mite problem may have weakened them so much (anaemia) that their hearts were under stress, and so possibly caused heart failure. :(

.......... just my opinion. :-k
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 17 Jul 2014, 09:44

Get in touch with Marriages. If you've still got the Batch number & so forth which will have been on the sack, it will be useful. If they have a suspect batch, it needs to be recalled. You don't say how young the birds are - I usually start Flubenvet at over 6 months.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 17 Jul 2014, 11:47

morning Henwife and lady plumber , the chicken is still with us .She WAS feeling bad as a CLB will not sit and let you walk up to her and inspect her without a flight. Her comb was paler than the others whos combs look a good scarlet .Anyway, I fetched some mixed corn and she came with the others and ate a bit and then drank some of the tonic I'd mixed up . I left them all in the inner run expecting the worst. This morning there were still five., relief. They were born in May last year so 14 months old and have been laying really well.I'm wondering, if its not the Marriages I'm wondering if she just wasnt eating enough as they really disliked it and I know consumption was way down, theyre bags of bones at the best of times as they arnt big eaters.
I could contact Marriages but as the older lot have had a course some while ago I suppose they'd say it was coincidence.It was the same bag.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 17 Jul 2014, 13:12

Had it past the use-by date?

Not uncommon for it to go off, especially this time of year.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 17 Jul 2014, 16:53

We have never had any problem with the Marriages feed either. It does as pointed out, have a rather short expiry date, so if that had been exceeded the Flubenvet component was probably of no use anyway. It may be worth phoning Marriages to see if you need to re-worm with fresh feed. They are exceedingly helpful and you can speak to their veterinary officer if you ask. Hope your girl is better soon.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 17 Jul 2014, 19:12

Drfish and organic chick, Ive not checked the date but I only bought it about six weeks ago. I'll take a look at the receipt though and compare it with the date on the bag.I wont get caught again .Its back to verm x for me ,I use it regularly anyway and although some folks are scathing about it ,I use it on horse and dog and have done for years.I should go with my instincts.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 18 Jul 2014, 07:57

Unless you know your birds have worms, Vermex will do no harm - nor in my opinion any good either. For future reference, it doesn't matter if you carry on until the sack of medicated pellets is finished, which is what I used to do. I still think it's worth sending a sample of the pellets to Marriages - if they are out of date, or were when sold to you - then any feed may become toxic in storage. If they were in date, and the pellets themselves are not up to standard, them Marriages need to know.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 20 Jul 2014, 12:21

Henwife, they went out of date on July 6th so a few days out. I should have checked the date when I bought them but surely they should be ok for more than 6weeks.
However the bag I bought last year I had no problems with palatabilty they ate them up just fine but then that group did this year too. Not sure whats going on.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 20 Jul 2014, 19:08

That sounds like poor storage at the place you bought them from and that the pellets were possibly toxic rather than the flubenvet causing problems. I have learned to reject any pellets that have less than a 3 month use by date - it's usually much longer and I know how my supplier stores them and rotates stock. Hay fever impares my sense of smell, so I have to rely on dates.

cleggy
Chick
Chick

Post by cleggy » 20 Jul 2014, 22:32

Henwife wrote:Unless you know your birds have worms, Vermex will do no harm - nor in my opinion any good either. For future reference, it doesn't matter if you carry on until the sack of medicated pellets is finished, which is what I used to do. I still think it's worth sending a sample of the pellets to Marriages - if they are out of date, or were when sold to you - then any feed may become toxic in storage. If they were in date, and the pellets themselves are not up to standard, them Marriages need to know.
Vermex = Chocolate Fire Guard. Never had a problem with marriages, they even ran out of supply last year and had to wait of new stock, so I would check with the supplier and send a sample back to marriages for analysis.
2 x Buff Orpington's, 1 x Wheaton Maran, 1 x Welsummer's, 1 x Silver Laced Wyandotte, 2 x Cream Legbar's, 2 x Light Sussex, 2 X Cuckoo Maran's, 2 X Copper Black Maran's .
2 x Labrador's (chocolate)

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 22 Jul 2014, 19:44

just an update to this post. I am beginning to think it may have been coincidental that both times I tried to feed the Marriages/ flubenvet I lost or nearly lost a chicken . I have today treated my coops with the Elector from Elanco ,I have not actually seen any mites but as egg production has fallen and one lot dont go into their coop until late it makes me pretty sure that one coop has some red mite. The other ,bigger coop I think is ok but has been treated anyway.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 23 Jul 2014, 09:58

I'm not sure if the same applies to chickens, but worming ducks can kill them if they have a high gut load. What happens is, the Flubenvet does it's job very effectively, but due to the high load of parasites, as they break down, they leach toxins into the blood stream. One of my ducks died due to this very thing. He was quite heavily loaded as he'd started to limp, which I didn't realise at the time was a giveaway to worms. He was wormed, picked up, started walking better again, then a few days later, after seemingly being fine all day, he just keeled over and died. I am assuming this is what happened, as I didn't get an autopsy done or anything, but the signs all add up.

So, possibly, a heavily gut laden chicken may suffer the same fate after worming. :-k

Problem is, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I've just increased the worming schedule to 3 times a year, in hope of preventing such a heavy build up of worms.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 23 Jul 2014, 13:34

Drfish, I find this really interesting as many years ago I lost a goose that I had just wormed and assumed it was just that the worms had damaged her too badly for worming to be effective, now I know it was the worms breaking down that did it - thank you.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 23 Jul 2014, 14:51

Yes, drfish, very interesting. Isn't it great what one can learn on fora.
If you have nothing
Give it away