What age

Moderator: Moderators

Srunicorn69
Chick
Chick

What age

Post by Srunicorn69 » 28 Jun 2014, 11:50

Hi I'm new to the forum and chicken keeping. I've had my Chickens three weeks now but I'm wondering if they are on the right food. When I picked them up the owners said they were on layers pellets but they aren't even layers yet. My Colombian black tail is the only girl showing signs of becoming a layer. Her face is turning a nice red. My other three girls are still very pale and small, their combs are still very small as well.
Back to the food. They hardly ate the layers pellet so I moved them to layers crumble and they like this better. Should they be on layers yet? I'm concerned they are not eating enough but I can't get to weigh them as they are too frightened. Their breast bone can be felt really easily, is it normal for young chickens to be like that?
Sue

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: What age

Post by kated » 28 Jun 2014, 14:49

Try not to worry too much if they are otherwise looking ok. I expect the pellets you are feeding them are not the same brand as the ones they were on before so they are unsure. Keep them on the crumble but include some pellets with it to get them used to your brand. Yes, they will be fine on layers pellets even if not yet laying. Laying hens should be on the lean side - definitely not chunky as this can lead to problems with voiding the egg.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Srunicorn69
Chick
Chick

Post by Srunicorn69 » 28 Jun 2014, 18:55

Thank you for replying. I am worried that I'm not doing things right even thou I I was reading on the internet for four months to make sure I was prepared. Thank you again I will mix their food to get them used to it.

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 01 Jul 2014, 11:01

Feeding requirements are usually:

up to 6-8 weeks....chick crumbs.

up to l8-20 weeks...growers pellets.

Then after that...layers pellets.

A bowl of grit. I usually use mixed grit (contains oystershell plus grit)

Clean water. Greens occasionally. That's all they need really. The pellets contain everything they need nutritionally but we all give little extras sometimes (no cake!).

A handful of mixed corn also in the afternoon when winter comes to keep them warm in the night.

If you just keep it simple to start with then it's much easier.

Srunicorn69
Chick
Chick

Post by Srunicorn69 » 07 Jul 2014, 21:45

Thank you Diane. How often should I feed greens? I only have a 6ftx6ft piece of grass and it's being kept short by my chickens otherwise they don't get no more grass so I have been feeding greens everyday all day. Do you think it is too much? They are having carrot tops ,spinach, brocolli, cauliflower,dark green cabbage everyday.
Sue

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 08 Jul 2014, 10:22

Every day is fine, as long as it's not making their droppings too loose. Otherwise 2 - 4 times a week is absolutely fine.

Srunicorn69
Chick
Chick

Post by Srunicorn69 » 08 Jul 2014, 14:59

Thanks Diane. I did notice one of the girls was a bit loose in her poo. Today I've only put cabbage up and will alternate it each day. :grin: