Feeding/Water Devices? Flooring?

Moderator: Moderators

SugoiSenpaiChanDesuNe

Feeding/Water Devices? Flooring?

Post by SugoiSenpaiChanDesuNe » 25 Jun 2014, 04:15

I'm putting together a chicken coop. So far I have all of the basic frame done which is 5ft x 8ft. I have a few questions to help me plan...

1. My school just threw food scraps in their chicken run and the chickens ate it all, but my friend told me that she leaves food in there for them and they eat when they're hungry. How should I go about feeding silkies? Can I make a DIY feeding trough?

2. For water, my school had a bucket hooked up to a drip line for constant water. I'm not sure if I'd be able to do this... Again, any DIY chicken water troughs I could build?

3. For flooring, my school used mostly straw. What should I use for the floor, especially if they want to dust bathe? The coop is sitting on top of a half-dead area of grassy lawn, so it's mostly dirt right now.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Feeding/Water Devices? Flooring?

Post by Henwife » 25 Jun 2014, 07:03

The actual coop, as opposed to the run, can have straw, shavings, fine woodchip (as used for horses) or even newspaper on the floor, but the nest area should have a slightly thicker layer of any of the foregoing (except newspaper) so the eggs have a soft landing. Chicken stand up to lay.
Any container can be used for water, so long as it has a firm base - a small washing up bowl works well for adult birds but use something of a height suitable for the size of the birds. The same applies to feeders, although they will need as shelter to protect the food from rain.
The ground for the run can be left as it is for the birds to trash, which they will enjoy. Once they've eaten any grass they will scratch out dustbowls for bathing!
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

farmer Warren
Chick
Chick

Post by farmer Warren » 25 Jun 2014, 19:18

ive got a freind who uses a ceramic dog bowl for food and water otherwise they get tipped over, or proper plastic feeders are only a few pounds.

i use bedmax shavings which are stolen from my horse i find they compact less than small animal shavings and are easier to remove.

is your run covered ? if not you may want to think about flooring for the wetter months maybe sand and rubber chips or woodchip - not bark chip as not great for chickens as tends to produce mould spores.

SugoiSenpaiChanDesuNe

Post by SugoiSenpaiChanDesuNe » 27 Jun 2014, 00:35

Thanks for the tips! But does inside the coop have to have straw or something? I'll fill the area where they lay eggs with tons of straw, but it's going to be a fancy wooden nesting box about 2ft off the ground with wood plank flooring. Is that sufficient? And are they stupid enough to poop in it? Will I have to clean the poo out?

Yeah, I don't have the video of building the coop up on YouTube yet, but when I do I'll post a link. It will have a roof on it that hangs over the coop one foot on each side.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 27 Jun 2014, 09:24

They'll generally not poop in nest boxes, but that's providing they have sufficient perches higher than the nest boxes. Nest boxes are generally better located low down, as that's more natural to a chicken to find a hidey hole to lay in at ground level. If you put nest boxes high up, you run the risk of them roosting in there rather than perches, thus causing issues with them pooping there. Ideally, nest boxes should be clean and contain at least wood shaving to prevent the eggs breaking. The rest of the coop doesn't matter so much, as the chosen medium is only really designed to soak up waste and keep things a little fresher.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 27 Jun 2014, 18:04

Agree with drfish but would just add that chickens have a mission in life to kick bedding/floor covering into their food and water. I now use bird-proof feeders and bucket drinkers which prevent this.
ImageImage
If you have nothing
Give it away