Check out my coop... Advice welcomed :)

Moderator: Moderators

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Re: Check out my coop... Advice welcomed :)

Post by laffinfowl » 10 May 2014, 21:26

What sort of money does that Ficam W cost ?

rutlandH20
Chick
Chick

Post by rutlandH20 » 10 May 2014, 21:31

Great work, OP! And so nice to see your new birds.

A couple of suggestions: The bamboo roll-up blinds are very handy hidey holes for mites. Because the bamboo is hollow, the little critters can get in and are safe from the effects of DE or sprays.

The perches really don't have to be so high. Some of the bigger bodied hens would be better off not having to jump down from such a lofty space. We've got our small flock on perches that are only 5 or 6 inches off the floor. Our perches are free-standing, so can be moved easily when cleaning out their house (which is 17" off the ground, supported by 4 staddle stones).

It's so nice to see such enthusiasm. Best of luck with your little flock!

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 10 May 2014, 21:40

Thank you, its so EGGciting [sorry] :?

We let them out and they just wanted to huddle in the corner but after a while of us sitting in the run they started to get a little braver.

Do we have enough straw on the floor of the coop? My gf suggested it should be a few inches deep but we have a bit of a composting backlog at the minute (first house/big garden/lots of grass cuttings and zero gardening experience :lol: ) They should roost on the perches in theory so the bedding is just for absorbing the poop isnt it??? Speaking of which, can the dried out grass cuttings be used for anything? I'd assume they'd like having a good forage for bugs in there. Maybe a pile of it in the run would be of some benefit?

Drfish; Do you know of any decent alternatives worth using? I'll nip down to mole in the morning if you could recommend anything they have to offer?
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/st ... ealth-care

Rutland; It may well be worth dropping the upper perch to the level of the top of the ramp... Thanks

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 10 May 2014, 21:41

laffinfowl wrote:What sort of money does that Ficam W cost ?
1 x 15g pouch can be had for £12... Christ is it a class A drug?!

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 10 May 2014, 21:54

Fantastic I'm so pleased for you I hope you enjoy your hens as much as we do, although I did warn you about anything with leg horn in it :lol: I've got four now so join the crazy leghorn club :lol: they are so amusing though have fun xx
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 10 May 2014, 21:58

NoNameNoNumber wrote:
laffinfowl wrote:What sort of money does that Ficam W cost ?
1 x 15g pouch can be had for £12... Christ is it a class A drug?!
Worth every penny, and goes a long way.

I did my whole house (flea prevention) and 3 coops with it. Still got a litre left.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 10 May 2014, 22:09

Did you mix up the 5l then Dr and leave 1l bottled up?

How long will a good coat of Ficam-w last? and is there anything wrong with buying off ebay (does ~£12 sound about right?)

Sorry for all of the Q's...

Edit: Just purchased a sachet for £14 delivered... How toxic is it to the chickens?

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 11 May 2014, 13:37

Well today I've spent probably 2 hours with them in the coop, they've all been picked up and once they're on their feet perching on my hand as opposed to being held then they've been fine, and seem happy enough to be petted and for me to have a good nosey at heir wings...

The Nero is so bloody strong though, if I grab her and she gets chance to flap her wings then I have to abort and let her go. At least just for a second so I can get a better grip so as to not let her win :D

Even the leghorn was happy to be touched and inspected, she does make me laugh though with how she runs around!

In the run I've lifted 2 slabs and made a kind of dust bath. A mixture of sand/compost and DE. Full of worms too which they pointed out!

I'm going to keep them inside the run for a week or two before letting them roam the garden though. I'd never catch them if they decided they weren't coming back!

Oh and I've had to put their feeder inside the coop to protect it from the elements, both the food and water are up on bricks inside now...

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 11 May 2014, 14:05

Ooooh I bet you are having great fun. Lucky thing.

Can I ask where you got your run wire from? And how much?

Chooks look lovely. Look forward to seeing more pics ☺
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 11 May 2014, 14:19

Unfortunately I have no idea about the wire, it was there when I bought the house...

What is a chook? Just another word for hen/pullet or chicken?

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 11 May 2014, 17:05

Just for my reference more than anything...

4 hens bought on the 10/5/14 @ 17 weeks old
20Kg Heygates layers pellets
20Kg Bliss Eucalyptus bedding

We'll see how long it lasts...

What other supplies do I need?
I'll go to mole tomorrow and pick up some poultry shield and some grit.

Do I need to get any tonics or treats while I'm out? I keep bringing them worms :D

Oh and also it looks like I need grit... soluble or not... or both? Mixed in with pellets or in separate feeders?

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 11 May 2014, 19:57

Chooks is just another word for chickens.

I love your link to Mole Valley farmers. Makes me chuckle. I live in the Mole Valley and it isn't in the West Country :lol:
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 11 May 2014, 20:00

Sounds nice though whether it be west or not!

cleggy
Chick
Chick

Post by cleggy » 12 May 2014, 10:12

I can certainly recommend Craig's Pure Breed Poultry when you want to grow your flock :roll: :roll: and you will :lol: :lol: :grin:

He is near Mansfield which is close to you, he advertises on the Pre Loved site and is listed on the Chicken Allotment Garden site, his own website appears to be down but he can be contacted on 07940 490387.

He does Pure Breeds and Hyrids at around £10 each. I got a couple each of Copper Black Marans and Cuckoo Marans earlier this year and they are lovely birds :grin:
2 x Buff Orpington's, 1 x Wheaton Maran, 1 x Welsummer's, 1 x Silver Laced Wyandotte, 2 x Cream Legbar's, 2 x Light Sussex, 2 X Cuckoo Maran's, 2 X Copper Black Maran's .
2 x Labrador's (chocolate)

Mayhen
Chick
Chick

Post by Mayhen » 12 May 2014, 11:15

NoNameNoNumber wrote:Just for my reference more than anything...

4 hens bought on the 10/5/14 @ 17 weeks old
20Kg Heygates layers pellets
20Kg Bliss Eucalyptus bedding

We'll see how long it lasts...

What other supplies do I need?
I'll go to mole tomorrow and pick up some poultry shield and some grit.

Do I need to get any tonics or treats while I'm out? I keep bringing them worms :D

Oh and also it looks like I need grit... soluble or not... or both? Mixed in with pellets or in separate feeders?
I have oyster shell grit in a separate feeder, and they can just help themselves. They should find plenty of normal grit and little stones to help in the gizzard for breaking down food while they're scratching around so there usually isn't any need to give them that but oyster shell is important for calcium:)
I also recommend worming them with flubenvet every few months. Don't use Verm-X because it doesn't work, it's just herbs and if your hens ever do get worms (I'm not saying they will!!!) it wont help at all. Flubenvet is the best, and you can still eat the eggs while you're using it :grin:
3 mice, 1 rescue dog, 1 rescue quaker parrot, 6 chickens: Daffy (mix breed), Teazel (Welsummer), Ginger Rogers (Gingernut Ranger), Pudding (Black Rock), Pepper (Barred Wyandotte bantam) and Nutmeg (Buff-laced Wyandotte bantam)

"The world is as delicate as a spider's web; touch one thread and you send shivers running through all the other threads. We're not just touching the web; we're tearing great holes in it." Gerald Durrell