Yesterday's scouting mission for coops.

Moderator: Moderators

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Re: Yesterday's scouting mission for coops.

Post by PixieDust » 25 Apr 2014, 14:48

Very true about the run. I just got an email back from the company saying all of the final 8 coops had been sold. Great! :(
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 25 Apr 2014, 15:05

MamaOwl wrote:One thing I will say is there is no way I would leave even one hen in the built in run. It's ok for perhaps keeping them safe if you have to go out and dont want them free ranging but in my opinion the run is far too small.
My daughter gets up every day for 6th form at 5am so she opens the gate and pop-hole for me weekdays and I set an alarm for weekends.
5am, for 6th form? What's happened to kids these days. I used to get up at around dinner time, to be there for 9am :oops: :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 25 Apr 2014, 15:14

drfish wrote:
MamaOwl wrote:One thing I will say is there is no way I would leave even one hen in the built in run. It's ok for perhaps keeping them safe if you have to go out and dont want them free ranging but in my opinion the run is far too small.
My daughter gets up every day for 6th form at 5am so she opens the gate and pop-hole for me weekdays and I set an alarm for weekends.
5am, for 6th form? What's happened to kids these days. I used to get up at around dinner time, to be there for 9am :oops: :lol:
LMAO!! My Lolly is very studious you know!

Besides, their school (my son is in yr 7 there) starts at 8am.. they must be in class for registration by 7:45 and we live a half hour bus ride away so they are on the bus by 6am...

I lived about 5 minutes from my school and used to wake up at 8:40, roll into my uniform and almost sleepwalk to school while munching on toast! lmao
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 25 Apr 2014, 15:18

Same here! Even when I went to Uni and caught the bus I only got up a 6am lol
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 25 Apr 2014, 15:27

3441sussex
Chick
Chick

Post by 3441sussex » 25 Apr 2014, 18:52

PixieDust wrote:OK found 2 more.
Why don’t you buy one of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicken-House ... 3f338e6d9a 4 hens fit comfortably in one of these houses. I have two of them for my 12 hens. They are surrounded by a 50 metre electrified poultry fence and I never shut them in. I have a pallet under each house to which I have attached industrial casters so that I can easily move them to a second run to give the first run a rest.

I have also got a Chinese export house, but do not consider it suitable for adult birds because it is not large or tall enough. It was supposed to accommodate 12 birds according to the advert. The perches are practically on the same level as the nest boxes and I think if you buy one of these you will find the hens prefer to roost in the nest boxes rather than on the perches. I find it very useful for a broody with chicks for a few weeks with a couple of wire runs attached. It is surrounded by an electric fence to keep the fox away.

Good luck with your search.

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 06 May 2014, 23:55

Sorry for being away for so long. I stupidly left my coursework to the last minute, but it's all handed in now. I just had the next lot arrive today. Hand in is 30th June, so I have some time.

OK, I have decided I do not want to waste any money on a crappy Chinese coop. I have found one at the local farm which sells the chooks too. http://www.withypoultry.co.uk/Poultry-a ... 71549).htm I am hoping to get my chooks from there as it is local. Taken with the Withy Black, Withy Blacktail, Withy Amber, Withy Blue, Withy Ranger and Withy Sussex. Of course I am only getting 4 so will have to make a choice.

Now this is more expensive but looks far more solid. I will probably go down and have a look-see one day.

Also, we have a local builder who built our porch. It is so good everyone mistakes our 1960's tile hung house for something far older. OH actually said I can ask him if he would build us a hen house and nesting boxes. So, while he is in a generous mood, I shall do just that! :naughty

Still no go with a shed :(

3441sussex
Chick
Chick

Post by 3441sussex » 07 May 2014, 21:03

Looked at the Withy Poultry website.

I can understand the manufacturers of the cheap imports over estimating the number of chicken their houses can accommodate, but how can someone who has 35 years poultry experience and who breeds chicken make the same claims?

6 chicken – house size 80cm x 80cm. I would think that this house would be okay for 4 chicken as long as they either free range or it sits in a large run.

10 chicken – house size 80cm x 100cm!

I would like to see how 15 chicken fit in a 80cm x 120cm chicken house even it is only used for laying eggs and roosting?

However, if you are thinking of using a local builder I think your best and cheapest option would be to buy a garden shed and ask him to convert it. There is not a lot of difference between a well-designed chicken house and a converted garden shed.

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 08 May 2014, 00:01

Yes I thought that for the size. I guessed 4 max.

He just won't go for the shed.

Unless......I have an idea. This may take me a few weeks to work this out but bare with me.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 08 May 2014, 07:23

I don't understand what his problem with a shed is? It doesn't have to be huge and once it's painted pretty colours and you have shelves in it for equipment and feed etc then he will see how much better it is than a low to the ground awkward to clean hut is...

Am intrigued to know what your idea is now!!
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 08 May 2014, 10:52

We have one shed already. That is full of tools. He is a landscape gardener and says another shed will spoil the aesthetics. Not a chance on pretty colours; to him wood is either stained or green and I only mean a light coat so it has a tinge of green.

He is a perfectionist and control freak over the garden. He's fine about the chickens but on his terms. He's a stubborn Taurus who will not do as he is told, one has to plant seeds in his mind and let them fester. In other words, plant the seed then try and push him the opposite way. I actually said last summer why didn't I ask the local builder and I was met with a resounding "No". Get my gist now?

He's kind and caring but can be incredibly difficult. We have been together 22 years this November and I know I can get my own way if I need, but I have to get him to think he came up with the "fabulous idea".

I am going to see if I can get someone he knows to suggest a small shed and see what occurs ;)

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 08 May 2014, 12:03

PixieDust wrote:
I am going to see if I can get someone he knows to suggest a small shed and see what occurs ;)
Nice one :thumbright: it works with my hubby every time :roll: then I have to :-# :lol: good luck
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 08 May 2014, 12:15

OK I have laid the plans. I have said again about it and his reply was it would cost twice as much as the coops we were looking at. So I planted the seed of "Will it last though or would a small shed last longer? It may be cheaper in the short term but not the long term. Only thinking of value for money."

OK he just replied with a "It will probably cost twice as much and only last as long as a cheap coop." The words I would use here is penny pinching and pound foolish! I have offered to sell some stuff on ebay if it would help with the cost.

I will now go quiet on the matter ;)

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 08 May 2014, 13:24

You can pick up a reasonable shed for around 100-150, which is around the price you'd be paying for even a remotely half decent coop, that holds far less birds and has no room to work, or storage room.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 09 May 2014, 09:19

I know, I just have to let the seed germinate. Once that has occurred, then we can look at different ones. ;)