how often should i feed olive oil?

Moderator: Moderators

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

how often should i feed olive oil?

Post by jillychick » 31 Oct 2013, 18:48

Hi
I have been giving my ladies a dollop of olive oil on some mixed corn In the afternoons twice a week. I was wondering if it's ok to give them some every day as it is turning cold at night now and I thought it might help keep them warm. Would it do any harm?
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: how often should i feed olive oil?

Post by Henwife » 31 Oct 2013, 19:09

I shouldn't think it would do any harm, though I'd be more inclined to use cod liver oil.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 31 Oct 2013, 19:11

Certainly won,t do any harm,i prefer to use Cod Liver oil though and use it a couple of times a week when the weather gets colder,normally put a good splosh of it on some mixed grain and mix it with a few fistfuls of Flaked Maize thats been softened with boiling water and allowed to cool.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 31 Oct 2013, 19:40

Omg I ment cod liver oil ! Was using olive oil to cook dinner with! a duh moment :oops: thanks anyway
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

subruss

Post by subruss » 31 Oct 2013, 19:50

Will not do any harm but is a pointless exercise and an extra expense normal good quality food is all they need to keep warm no matter how cold it is ,Sorry :thumbright:

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 31 Oct 2013, 20:14

Yes but my girls really like it and@ £2_50 a bottle from Tesco it's hardly breaking the bank. They are fed on garvo layers not the cheapest I could get but the nutrients are all there in garvo A little extra is a bonus which I can afford.

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 01 Nov 2013, 11:30

Remember that whilst Cod Liver Oil is good in small doses, it is fattening (just like any other fat) and may cause weight gain if used daily.
Twice a week as suggested seems more appropriate and check out the list of ingredients in your feed, as I am sure there is already oil added in most pellets.

Alfamix chickens
A complete chicken food with seeds, amphipods, vegetables & grit
Delicious and healthy – egg from your own chicken
Chickens are omnivores and out in the open they would naturally eat vegetation, berries and insects, in addition to seeds. Alfamix chickens gives a natural balance, as it contains shell grit, vegetables and dried lobster, in addition to the seeds. The food contains healthy fatty acids (for example from linseed) and natural carotene. The composition makes the food complete, specifically balanced to keep your chickens’ perfectly healthy and help develop a high level of natural resistance.

A healthy chicken will regularly lay a delicious and healthy egg! The alfamix chickens ensures your chickens will lay eggs that are full of natural flavour, with a dark yellow yolk and a healthy amount of omega 3 fatty acids.
If this is what you're feeding, it is a complete food and already contains those Omega 3 fatty acids. Optimally balanced is great. Adding daily oil will unbalance what you're paying good money for and over weight chickens might get too heavy for their legs.

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 01 Nov 2013, 11:48

As for unbalancing diet well it depends on what you feed. As for weight gain, I really wouldn't worry about that, free range poultry will not get fat.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Re: how often should i feed cod liver oil

Post by jillychick » 01 Nov 2013, 12:00

Ok thanks nanny p twice a week it is then was a bit concerned that it would make there droppings a bit runny if given every day. I'm not worried about them getting fat as they get plenty of exercise. Will add extra straw for the cold nights :thumbright:

amianne
Chick
Chick

Post by amianne » 01 Nov 2013, 18:51

Hi
did you know chickens can die from Fatty Liver Disease, caused by too much high energy food or not enough exercise. My Orpington bantams now get rationed.. 1 teaspoon mixed corn at bedtime to help keep them warm through the night, makes me feel a bit mean.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 01 Nov 2013, 19:16

Know what you mean. I tend to be over generous with them but it's all a learning curve. Mine get plenty of exercise they are out from dawn till dusk every day the only time they sit still is to lay an egg :lol: the mixed corn is rashaned to a handful between 8 hens so I don't think that's to bad. They all look fit and healthy Will keep an eye on them thanks for the info.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 05 Nov 2013, 10:38

Just to add, they'd have to consume an awful lot of cod liver oil to make any difference to their weight. Don't think of it as fat as in lard, it's all good fats, and essential to just about every living animal. Omega fats make very little difference to weight gain in anything.

In bodybuilding, Omega fats are used to replace normal fats in order to lose weight faster. Go figure. :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 05 Nov 2013, 10:48

Dr fish your comments make sense I think 3 times a week will help keep them tip top thanks

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 06 Nov 2013, 00:09

drfish wrote:
In bodybuilding, Omega fats are used to replace normal fats in order to lose weight faster. Go figure. :lol:
Send gallons over please :D

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 06 Nov 2013, 10:55

Start fly-fishing, that's where all the omega oil is :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.