Do I need a ramp?

Moderator: Moderators

kajlbw
Chick
Chick

Do I need a ramp?

Post by kajlbw » 16 Oct 2013, 15:31

Hi all, Ive just taken delivery of my new hen house but there isn't a ramp for the hen's entry/exit hole, will I need one? The door is about 5 inches off the ground. I'm presuming not as the perches inside are even higher. :?

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Do I need a ramp?

Post by drfish » 16 Oct 2013, 15:57

Depends on the surface they are going from/to really. I supply one, but that's because my shed has a removable liner, which is slippery when wet. Saves them accidentally breaking legs or anything. That said, the chances of that are quite slim. Chickens are relatively agile when it comes to jumping through holes and such. Ducks on the other hand are the clumsiest things you're likely to ever come across. The floor of my duck coop is about 3" high, and they still manage to go arse over tit more times than a little in their hurry to get out in a morning.

5" is nothing though on the grand scheme of a chicken jumping. They're easy enough to knock up though, length of plywood about 6-8" wide, couple of hooks on one end, and eyelets screwed into the frame inside, then lengths of 1x1" batten going across every 3" or so up the ramp. That way, you can remove it as well as they tend to get the bulk of the crud attached to them.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

kajlbw
Chick
Chick

Post by kajlbw » 16 Oct 2013, 16:43

Thanks drfish. Ive actually just looked at it again and it'd probably be more like a 7 inch jump for them. They will be jumping out onto grass (or it is at the moment!!) over the threshold of a sliding door (there'll be wood shavings on the floor of the house). Ill maybe see how they get on and then,if they are struggling ..... give your measurements and instructions to my husband :))

Thanks again.

CLUCKINGHELL
Chick
Chick

Post by CLUCKINGHELL » 16 Oct 2013, 16:46

Mine is 18 inches ish from floor to coop entrance I have given a ramp but have see them just jump straight up and in .

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 16 Oct 2013, 17:26

They'll be fine, my L/F Brahma's can do it.

kajlbw
Chick
Chick

Post by kajlbw » 16 Oct 2013, 17:28

Okedokey, case closed, they can do without ! Thank you all :)