Safety in the run

Moderator: Moderators

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Safety in the run

Post by organic chick » 10 Oct 2013, 21:32

Would welcome a few thoughts from the great pool of knowledge out there. I am a relative new by.

I am part of a hen 'collective' for want of a better description and there is some disagreement between members regarding the following.

Our hens go into their coop at night and an automatic pophole closes behind them. The run attached to this coop is surrounded by heavy duty paving and covered by a solid roof. Last thing at night we close an outer pothole which goes into a walk in run. The weldmesh in the walk in run is skirted and concreted and back filled with rubble and soil. The top is covered in nylon mesh until we can sort out our Onduline panels.

SO, am I being paranoid in expecting the outer run to be closed off at night by shutting the outer pop hole, and only opened in the morning after we have checked the integrity of the outer run? We have an active badger population and one roof tear has been mended after a branch fell on it.

Independent thought welcome as I do not want this to become a personal battle between group members. :help:
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Safety in the run

Post by drfish » 11 Oct 2013, 08:53

Foxes will generally give up if they can't go through, under, or over. Badgers on the other hand are persistent and able to use their paws more like hands. Granted, they don't have opposable thumbs, but they are able to grasp, which can make the undoing of coops a fairly simple procedure for them. Generally speaking, I'd always air on the side of caution. Complacency is what causes issues in this game. I know, I've been the victim of my own complacency. You can never have too much security, and anyone that tells you otherwise has been lucky so far.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 11 Oct 2013, 09:39

You are quite right to be concerned especially if its a known fact that you are close to an active Badger group...........what i would suggest is to get your fellow members to type "badger attack" into the search engine (top right hand corner of the page) on here and have a read about how they can strike,they can do a lot of damage overnight whereas with a fox you can if your defences are good be given a little warning that they have made an attempt to dig under a run.

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 11 Oct 2013, 16:55

:) Thank you both for your thoughts. Nice to know I am not paranoid (yet!)
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 11 Oct 2013, 20:13

organic chick wrote::) Nice to know I am not paranoid (yet!)
Stick around a while longer and we'll see what we can do!!! :lol:

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 12 Oct 2013, 16:39

Think I may be getting there slowly!! ;)

nickyc
Chick
Chick

Post by nickyc » 12 Oct 2013, 18:04

If you've got badgers nearby, you are quite right to be concerned. They will dig under that fence in a flash. Get electric fencing, it's the only thing to stop badgers - take it from one who knows!!