Which coop would be best?

Moderator: Moderators

Aunt Sally

Which coop would be best?

Post by Aunt Sally » 04 Oct 2013, 21:32

Hi
I have found a couple of coops on ebay and I was wondering which would be the better one to get as I've been reading about them and I'm getting confused about which one would be best.
Here are the links to the coops
Coop 1 = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350805006167? ... 1424.l2649

Coop 2 = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130993925480? ... 1423.l2649

If you let me know which one would be best and why, it would be much appreciated :grin:

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Re: Which coop would be best?

Post by Miss Chooks » 04 Oct 2013, 22:22

Hi Aunt Sally, it's personal choice which coop you have. How many birds do you have or getting? I was always advised to stay away from felt roofing as red mite like living in this but after having hens for over a year now I am aware that red mite also live in crevices of coops (luckily I don't have red mite) the only advice I can give you is... you get what you pay for. I think you have to take all the measurements and try and imagine the size, when I bought my coop (of ebay) it looked bigger than what it actually is. Only 1 half of the roof pulls back and this is a little difficult for cleaning. It has a slide door I prefer a drop down door (last coop had one). What size run do you have?

Aunt Sally

Post by Aunt Sally » 04 Oct 2013, 22:39

Miss Chooks wrote:Hi Aunt Sally, it's personal choice which coop you have. How many birds do you have or getting? I was always advised to stay away from felt roofing as red mite like living in this but after having hens for over a year now I am aware that red mite also live in crevices of coops (luckily I don't have red mite) the only advice I can give you is... you get what you pay for. I think you have to take all the measurements and try and imagine the size, when I bought my coop (of ebay) it looked bigger than what it actually is. Only 1 half of the roof pulls back and this is a little difficult for cleaning. It has a slide door I prefer a drop down door (last coop had one). What size run do you have?
Hi Miss Chooks
I haven't got any chickens yet but I was thinking about getting a maximum of 6 and I haven't made the run yet but was thinking of about 7 feet wide by 15 feet long although I have plenty of garden if I need to go bigger. I appreciate your comments regarding pictures of coops which tend to make them look bigger than they are but being new to this I needed to start somewhere but I'm completely open to advice or suggestions about what I should look for regarding size and where to look or even the slim possibility of building one myself, having said that I wouldn't really know where to begin :grin:

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 04 Oct 2013, 23:01

My coop is for 6 -8 birds, I have 2 sablepoots & 2 light sussex, neither are huge birds and I would say they fit comfortable definitely not big enough for 6 birds, as for the run I think in general it's about 3-4 square feet of floor space for a large bird and 2 - 3 for bantam breeds. I think there may be threads on here somewhere about different housing. If I had my choice I would probably buy a shed and convert it but that's my opinion. Nothing worse than bending over scrubbing the coop out once a month :-(

sallyhennypenny
Chick
Chick

Post by sallyhennypenny » 04 Oct 2013, 23:14

They look like cheap chinese imports that won't last very long. Look at Littleacre as a comparison, much better quality and a fair price. They normally do a 15% of at the end of the year.

Lizzier
Chick
Chick

Post by Lizzier » 05 Oct 2013, 18:05

Hi Aunt Sally,

I have a Cocoon one. My husband bought it from Ebay as I was given some chickens for free from a school that had hatched them and we needed a coop fast. We hadn't had hens before so we thought it was a good deal.

So I'll give you the positives and negatives that we've found with the coop.

The coop was very easy to assemble and looks very attractive when put together. However within a week, part of the frame on the droppings board split and we had to stick it together with wood glue - it's held fast since. Also the lock on the door can be tricky to move and needs a lot of playing around with to lock the door at night
The wood itself is very thin and there are gaps between the different pieces of wood where they fit together which means it is very draughty. And chickens don't like draughts! Over the beautiful summer we've had this hasn't been too much of a problem but I am concerned how it will fare over winter. I suspect the wood will start to warp after a while (although it hasn't yet). However, day to day maintenance has been pretty easy to do and the coop is still looking good a few months on.

After a month after we got it I noticed a few red mites. I creosoted the coop which wasn't easy as there is no way of taking it apart and there are lots of hard to reach spaces for red mite to lurk. I haven't spotted any since, but I would definitely recommend creosoting any wooden coop that you get.

Also, the number of chickens that they state you can keep in it is wildly overstated. Sadly, we were newbies, believed the numbers and thus overstocked the coop. Again, due to the lovely weather, long hours of sunlight and very large run we have, this luckily didn't cause us any major problems as the chickens were outside for most of the time but I dread to think how squashed they were at night.

As I began to research chickens and join some forums I realised the mistakes we'd made and began to rectify them. We ended up having to split the chickens into two groups and some of them now live in a very nice but not cheap Greenfrog coop which will last me 20 years or so. We have also put the Cocoon coop in a polytunnel over winter which is open in the day so the chickens can get in and out but will hopefully keep the the elements from doing it too much damage and minimise the draughts.

Overalll, if you can afford it, I would definitely recommend paying out a bit more and investing in a better quality coop. There are loads of threads on here discussing the pros and cons of different brands. I am planning on replacing the Coccoon one next summer and will probably either convert a shed as then I can get it exactly as I want it, or buy another plastic one. The Cocoon will probably last you a year or so but in a long term a more expensive one is a better investment.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 05 Oct 2013, 20:19

One of my coops is one of this make ( Cocoon ) .

As said above - cheap Chinese waste of money. Roof warped, tray warped, door VERY warped, in fact every bloody piece of "wood" on it is warped, I've lost count of the repairs and adaptations I've had to do to it ........... steer WELL clear ! See this thread too:

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/vi ... on#p375921
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington