Transportation

Moderator: Moderators

kazza56

Transportation

Post by kazza56 » 25 Sep 2013, 21:24

Hi there, I'm new. We are moving to Wales from South Yorkshire on Saturday and I am taking my cockerel and hen - they are both old now, have had them from chicks. They're 8 I think. They have always roamed free but come and roost in the barn every night - as soon as it starts getting dark they come in and I can close the door for the night. They are so clever - they've never once ventured onto the road. What I am seeking advice about is whether to take them in a hutch together or whether to take them in two separate hutches. I think they'd be happier together as that's how they live, but don't want the cockerel pecking the hen through stress. Which do you think is best please? It's a four hour journey but I'll need to catch them tomorrow - no use leaving it til Friday in case I can't catch them - once in the beams in the barn they are out of reach !! Thanks for any advice you can give me. Karen

ladyplumber

Re: Transportation

Post by ladyplumber » 25 Sep 2013, 22:34

Hi there and welcome to the forum ! :wave:

Quick answer cos it's my bedtime: I'd put them both together for the journey because it would be even more stressful apart and good luck for the move, hope everything goes well for you x
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 25 Sep 2013, 22:37

Hi Karen, welcome in. You haven't really got a lot of time to put into action what I would recommend, but I'll suggest it anyway as it works so well.
What I use when I'm transporting poultry is a dog crate. Its well ventilated so they won't get over heated and you can see at a glance what condition they are in. Put them both in together and don't worry about pecking because as soon as they start moving they sit down and that's where they'll stay until the movement stops. I've even put two cockerels together who under normal circumstances would go at one another but since the moment they stand up they loose balance they soon learn they have to sit. If they have to stay in the crate over night put cage cups in for food & water. Just in case you're not familiar with cage cups I've put a link for you to show you. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-GALLEY-PO ... 2c705a35e6

All these things you'll get from a local pet shop or you may even pick up a second hand dog crate locally.
Just make sure you put paper in the cage for all the sloppy poo's. Don't put shavings in unless you want them spread all over the car.

Failing this the only other suggestion I can make is a large cardboard box with lots of holes cut in the sides and with the top open to allow air in. The birds won't jump out while the vehicles moving. Personally though I really don't like boxes as you can't see the birds and they quickly get very hot and that stresses them and the overheating can kill them.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 26 Sep 2013, 07:38

Travel together and assume all will be well. My best journey with chicken was 4 young Sussex in a disposable cardboard cat carrier by train (2 changes) from SE Wales to S Scotland. They were watered at Birmingham and were totally unfazed by the whole episode. These were young and excitable birds - yours are elderly and calm. If they do get stressed, darken the cage.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.