which feed

Moderator: Moderators

georget
Chick
Chick

which feed

Post by georget » 13 Sep 2013, 12:35

Im new to keeping hens having 6.... 8 week old chicks and i am confused over which brand of growers pellets to feed.There is such a difference in price between the cheapest and dearest,is there much difference in the quality?Ive always beleived you only get what you pay for.I can get Garvo pellets locally for £12.99 or I can buy farmgate for£7.50 20kgs Is the garvo worth the extra some people say the chooks dont eat as much if it is better quality I dont know..HELP :?:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: which feed

Post by drfish » 13 Sep 2013, 13:11

They're all pretty similar in content, the only way to tell is to read the nutritional values of them. I always use Dodson & Horrell, so can't comment on anything else, but they've always been fine, and around £10 for 20kg.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 13 Sep 2013, 16:44

I've used most of the different types over the years, including Farmgate and Garvo (when it was on offer)... and can't really find much difference. They free range in the garden during the day , with a handful of greens now and again...and in the winter they also get a handful of mixed corn each. With my pekins they get Smallholder as the pellets are quite small....but also because I can get that just up the road. Usually I go with what's on offer at the time. Chick crumb with anticoccidiostat up to 8 weeks....then growers pellets up to l8 weeks and then gradually change over to layers pellets. A bowl of mixed grit is always available.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 13 Sep 2013, 21:48

And consider that Garvo is expensive because it's imported. :)

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 14 Sep 2013, 06:55

I would echo Diane's comments. They'll eat what they're given and thrive.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

cleggy
Chick
Chick

Post by cleggy » 04 Oct 2013, 06:36

drfish wrote:They're all pretty similar in content, the only way to tell is to read the nutritional values of them. I always use Dodson & Horrell, so can't comment on anything else, but they've always been fine, and around £10 for 20kg.
Same here, I do give then Marriages with Flubenvet every March and September
2 x Buff Orpington's, 1 x Wheaton Maran, 1 x Welsummer's, 1 x Silver Laced Wyandotte, 2 x Cream Legbar's, 2 x Light Sussex, 2 X Cuckoo Maran's, 2 X Copper Black Maran's .
2 x Labrador's (chocolate)

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Post by sunnys » 04 Oct 2013, 11:13

garvo is good for pushing large fowl growers to max size-handy if you are into showing and have a breed that should be BIG. for laying hens I would use a standard (cheaper) growers pellet. you don't want max size in a laying hen-you want sensible size.
only time i have seen a drop in food consumption is when my birds really hate the food i have offered- which has happened with one brand (I stopped using it as my hens all stopped laying and made it plain they'd rather eat the hedge then THOSE pellets). normal good quality food -and the cheaper one you mention is good food- they stuff themselves like normal.