Re: Large Australorp Hens

Post by sunnys » 09 Oct 2013, 14:53

Gorgious!

rutlandH20
Chick
Chick

Post by rutlandH20 » 09 Oct 2013, 14:54

[URL=http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/Rutla ... 9.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h42 ... fe3bd9.jpg[/IThese photos belong in a different place, but I'm sorry I'm just not quite sure what else to do.

rutlandH20
Chick
Chick

Post by rutlandH20 » 09 Oct 2013, 14:56

Here's the last one:

rutlandH20
Chick
Chick

Post by rutlandH20 » 09 Oct 2013, 14:58

ImageSorry, I loused that up, somehow!

rutlandH20
Chick
Chick

Post by rutlandH20 » 09 Oct 2013, 15:01

[URL=http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]I don't know why some are working and others are not. One more time:

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Post by sunnys » 09 Oct 2013, 15:10

ah beautiful. you not going for the dreadlock look then? lol. the one stallion i saw in france had been done out into most extravagent dreadlocks.

rutlandH20
Chick
Chick

Post by rutlandH20 » 09 Oct 2013, 17:28

Hi sunnys,

I'm glad you brought that up. Baby Poitous start out black with very kinky, wavy, almost baby lamb coats. As they get to about 3 or 4 months of age, the coat gets very plush and starts to grow. By the time I acquired the baby, her coat was so plush and long I couldn't bear not grooming her. I sprayed her with Show Sheen about every third or fourth day, which made the brushing and combing much easier. The coat is like not unlike an Afghan hound's coat, and, like Velcro, it attracts EVERYTHING!!!! The photo above was taken in May, 2013. The colour is considered noir pangaré. Then, O.M.G., everything changed...her coat just died and matted. The stallion you saw wasn't 'done out' into dreadlocks. It occurs naturally and is highly prized. My older jenny is not heavily coated (I was given that information before I purchased her). You can see the remnants of dreadlocks on her side. When she arrived she had a bit less than the photo shows. I just gently teased them out. But they do come back. As the old coat mats it forms felt where it meets the skin. I have a bag of the baby's mats and it looks like a Wookie's coat from Star Wars. There is no way a breeder/owner with more than four could keep them dreadlock free and have a life, eat a meal, or sleep!

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Post by sunnys » 10 Oct 2013, 10:30

very interesting. My mom was trying to translate and told me the dreadlocked look is considered desirable- a sign of the virility and strengh of the breed. I did suspect it was also rather hard to avoid!

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 12 Oct 2013, 09:26

Donkeys harnessed to budgies!!! Do the RSPCA know? :grin:

Seriously, rutlandH20, your experiences sound horrendous and I'm mystified that folk take on managerial positions in poultry breed clubs and then can't be bothered to do the work and reply to enquirers. They are a beautiful breed and I too am surprised that they are not more popular. My beautiful cockerel was killed by a dog about six weeks ago but I have five Australorp♂ x (Light Sussex x Columbian Wyandotte)♀ hens that look like rose combed Australorps and which I value highly. I certainly intend to continue with these 'fake Australorps' and breed more of this type of bird.
ImagePS
This is them as youngsters
If you have nothing
Give it away

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 12 Oct 2013, 10:20

Magnificent donkeys! Never heard of them/seen them before.
If you have nothing
Give it away

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 12 Oct 2013, 21:35

A word of friendly advice about poultry buying. Anybody who dosen't show you exactly what you're getting and doesn't check if you are happy with what you're getting avoid like the plague they are trying to pull a fast one. Better to come away empty handed than to get possibly sick or cross bred or any other rubbish they are trying to palm off on you.
Try this breeders directory see if there's anything in there- http://www.practicalpoultry.com/informa ... -directory
Failing that I'd suggest doing as sunnys says and going to the two big shows coming up National & Fed, both are within reasonable striking distance of the Midlands. At one or the other of them the breed club should be holding their own show and the breed club should have their own display stand which members congregate around from time to time
National
16th-17th Nov
Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire CV8 2LG

Federation
21st -22nd Dec
Staffordshire County Showground
Weston Road
Stafford
ST18 0BD

Also I'm sure you had the right contact details for the club, but just to check these are the correct ones
The Australorp Club
Ian W Simpson & Louise Carpenter, Chestnut Farm, Normanton, Southwell,
Notts NG25 0PR
Tel: 01636 814958

rutlandH20
Chick
Chick

Post by rutlandH20 » 13 Oct 2013, 00:26

Hen-Gen: Thank you for your vote of confidence. I hope you have good luck with your Australorp crosses.

Son of eddy: I thought I had made my desires known when I purchased those birds. They weren't ill, but... I have received an apology from the breeder and she has offered a refund.

I did have the correct name, address, and phone number for the Australorp Club. Still no response.

Thank you for the information regarding the two major shows. Weather permitting, I may just go to the one at Stoneleigh.

rutlandH20
Chick
Chick

Post by rutlandH20 » 27 Oct 2013, 13:42

Just a quick update...

The vendor of the supposed two Australorp hens, (one is a cockerel) never reimbursed me for the the male, despite her promising to do so more than two weeks ago. She is in Suffolk.
I don't know why I thought she would be a woman of her word.