New run time

Moderator: Moderators

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

New run time

Post by drfish » 22 May 2013, 10:14

After pondering with ideas for fox-proofing, different coop (well, kids playshed) and roofing, I've come to the conclusion that it would be easier to start again from scratch. So, yesterday, I set about building the basic frame for the run. Just need to get some of the lads round to help me move the playshed, as from experience, 4 burly chaps is still not quite enough to lift it and manoeuvre it easily. In doing so though, I've created myself an enormous amount of work, as I'll have about 60 feet x 8 feet of garden returned that is previously filled with aforementioned playshed, chicken run and a hidden junk area. The missus now wants decking and a BBQ area setting up. ](*,)

I'll try and remember to take some pics as I go along, but I usually forget to do things like that, despite being an avid photographer :roll: :grin:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

CLUCKINGHELL
Chick
Chick

Re: New run time

Post by CLUCKINGHELL » 22 May 2013, 19:51

watching with great interest.

torkardlane
Chick
Chick

Post by torkardlane » 26 May 2013, 16:53

be good to see a before and after

drfish

Post by drfish » 26 May 2013, 17:29

Nothing really exciting to report yet, other than a basic frame. Still got a bit to do with that, then it's mesh and roof, sort the new house out and interior decoration.

The story so far
2013-05-25 18.47.55.jpg

And where they are currently
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

drfish

Post by drfish » 28 May 2013, 10:36

Meshing done. At the expense of several layers of skin and about half a pint of blood. Topped it back up with Kronenburg last night though :drunken:

Just need to do roof now. But as my car is playing silly buggers, that has to come first, so the roof will be on a back-burner for now. Also successfully managed to get an entire spiders web full of spiderlings in my hair yesterday. I'm not a cringey type of person, but I bricked it and ran round the garden screaming and pulling my tee-shirt off. Euuuwwww. :lol:

Just need to sort the interior fixings now for the house, sort some run furniture for them and swap the door from the old run to this one, and jobs a goodun.
2013-05-27 17.29.12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

M8WHR1

Post by M8WHR1 » 28 May 2013, 13:58

Looking good. Are you putting a solid roof on or just mesh? What's the plans when the grass disappears? I would have done the same with the spider nest.

drfish

Post by drfish » 28 May 2013, 15:43

It's having an Onduline roof, with the end two panels polycarbonate to let a little light in. I'm going to put a weed barrier down and use sharp sand once they devoured the grass. Figured I'd leave them to it for a little while, while it's summer. With only having 3 bantams, it'll take them a while to get through it anyway. Until I add to it in about 12 weeks or so when the young uns are up to size.

But, due to having a turbo that's playing silly buggers on my car that I've only owned 3 months (dealer warranty ran out last week ](*,) ), I'm expecting a high 3 figure repair bill, so the roof will have to wait a bit until the cars fixed. Although it has been behaving today. It's probably gonna cost the fat end of £500 to fix though and that's if I do it myself. While I have the money to do both, I don't like leaving myself short, and the roof isn't essential just yet. Also got to do the rest of the duck pen behind it. So there's probably getting on for £300 worth of Onduline to buy. The chicken pen will cost around £120-150 to do once I've bought the Onduline, guttering, water barrel and fixings.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

CLUCKINGHELL
Chick
Chick

Post by CLUCKINGHELL » 28 May 2013, 18:37

yep looking very good...well done.

drfish

Post by drfish » 03 Jun 2013, 14:55

Didn't really get a lot of time at the weekend, work are trying to grind me into an early grave.

Managed to fashion the main perch for the coop, out of a 6 foot length of 2 x 4, and then planed the edges round on the top.

Found an old greenhouse tray which slides very neatly exactly under where the perches fit. So that's one cleaning obstacle overcome. And I'm contemplating using plastic storage boxes for the nestboxes. Easy to clean, should stay more pest free, and cheap and cheerful. These sort of things:

So, all I managed to really do was form the drop door, which looks a little like this. There was quite a bit of head scratching went into that, to maintain the main door frame, and insert 12mm plywood into where there was perspex. Quite pleased with it overall. Just needs another lick or two of paint. But BBQ and beer called, so I only did a couple of hours on it all weekend.
2013-06-02 13.38.09.jpg

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Woodland Hen » 03 Jun 2013, 17:53

Looks good. I was thinking about doing the same as you for nest boxes then OH suggested using lick buckets with a plank of wood. I was dubious about them being a bit small for LF, but they are fine. Plank of wood, 2 screws and a big bucket, these are cattle/ sheep lick buckets. Easy to clean out and hopefully more mite resistant then the wooden ones I had!
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!

drfish

Post by drfish » 09 Jun 2013, 12:36

And, they're in...

Not quite finished yet, still got to sort the run into a more ergonomically pleasing setup, but at least they are in the run and coop now, so I can concentrate on sorting the chicks out and the rest of the garden which is total chaos at the moment.

Managed to do a few quick snaps of the almost finished article. I'll take some interior snaps for perusal and suggestions later tonight. Assuming I'm not at work 'til midnight and beyond.
2013-06-08 13.30.03.jpg
2013-06-08 13.30.30.jpg

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Sanbeer
Chick
Chick

Post by Sanbeer » 09 Jun 2013, 13:32

It looks great!
Sandra

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

CLUCKINGHELL
Chick
Chick

Post by CLUCKINGHELL » 09 Jun 2013, 17:07

Sanbeer wrote:It looks great!
+1 :grin:

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 09 Jun 2013, 17:27

well done! Looks fabulous! Bet the chickies enjoy it too !
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

drfish

Post by drfish » 09 Jun 2013, 17:30

They were a little apprehensive yesterday, but I think they'll be OK tonight. Work's looking good for an early finish after all, so I may see some daylight today.

Thanks all.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.