Our Hen Houses/ Coops

Moderator: Moderators

CP

Re: Our Hen Houses/ Coops

Post by CP » 29 Sep 2011, 01:09

Very nice! :thumbright:
Welcome to the forum. :)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

tabsjelu

Post by tabsjelu » 29 Sep 2011, 20:00

rachellouisa wrote:Im new to the forum and decided to post a few pics of my coop and WIR.

Aww love it! It looks like a setting from a photoshoot in a joules catalogue lol did you make it all yourself, really lovely.

Big D

Post by Big D » 29 Sep 2011, 20:13

That's a lovely set up :grin:

rachellouisa

Post by rachellouisa » 03 Oct 2011, 12:19

Ah thank you, the coop was bought from gumtree and painted to my liking (I also have a matching bench and plant pots in the same coulour.) The run was custom built by my OH and I made it pretty with bunting and solar fairy lights from ebay. You can't see on the pics but the WIR is surrounded by a raised flower bed too. All very pretty...

sandratoe

Post by sandratoe » 03 Oct 2011, 14:11

Its really nice, im getting a new house (chicken) and am going to paint it pink, just hope it looks as good as yours. Mine have got a big run with that orange plastic stuff but i want to put a run onto the new house so the hens and their food have shelter when i cant let them out. Just wish i had a OH and one with the skill of yours!

adam_fozz

Post by adam_fozz » 12 Oct 2011, 15:40

Heres my setup. Let me know what you think!

I made the coop out of pallets for ultimate eco friendlyness!

Adam_Fozz

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 12 Oct 2011, 19:51

Nice job Adam,very similar to the first coop i ever made actually,had mine the same height off the ground as your too.
Before long found a series of tunnels under it with a few rats gaining access to a ready food supply and shelter,ended up trapping them,collapsing all the tunnels and raising it about twenty inches off the ground,no rodent problems since. So the only suggestion i,d make is if at all possible would be to raise it up off the ground on breeze blocks or lenghts of 6 x 4,you can then hang your feeder under it and the chooks have more ground and somewhere to shelter if they want.
Your birds look happy and healthy too. :thumbright:

tabsjelu

Post by tabsjelu » 12 Oct 2011, 21:58

Thats great Adam! I was actually thinking of using pallets next time I make one. Really nice birds, what are they? especially like the black/grey one

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 12 Oct 2011, 23:32

Nice job Adam, only one criticism and thats the roof i would lose the felt as red mite love hiding underneath it, i would replace it with onduline attached to a piece of plywood. Plus you need more ventilation near the top. :thumbright:

adam_fozz

Post by adam_fozz » 13 Oct 2011, 09:13

Thanks for your replies...

laffinfowl:- The bottom side of the coop is sealed with board. Do you think the rats my find their way in? I read that rats can be a problem with chickens...even killing them sometimes.

tabsjelu:- Thanks! Took me about a week spending a couple of hours each evening. The grey bird is a Bluebell. She was a little more expensive than the others, but is noticeably bigger. We wanted 5 birds so we went to a local seller near Whitchurch and picked five different breeds! There brown is a Lohmann Brown which im told is a hybrid laying chicken. The black with a copper neck is a Black Rock. The White is a light Sussex and the Dark grey with grey flecks is a Speckeldy. All of these are very calm birds. We have had some instances of feather pecking but thats mostly when we have to keep them in the run for a while. The Brown is by far the most friendly. She seeks out humans even if we aren't there, jumping the fence to hang out with the neighbours!

Tweedy:- I did think twice about the roof myself. It is sealed with sealant so hopefully this should keep them at bay. Also, its worth mentioning that there is a wooden roof underneath. The felt was just for added protection really because I wasn't convinced that the roof was steep enough to keep the good old British weather at out! Check my other thread discussing vents! This is my next mod! At the moment I leave the side off all day to air the place out and leave the window ajar at night. Will get some decent vents in this weekend though.

Thanks again all.
Adam_Fozz

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 13 Oct 2011, 10:04

Hi Adam,yeah they,ll find their way in alright,just try to make sure there is no waste feed left lying around after the birds have gone to roost and maybe remove the feeder every night and bring it indoors or put in in a galvinised bin overnight.
Rats are always looking for easy sources of food especially coming into the Winter.
Even though they were about before you got your birds believe me if they become visible to neighbours your birds will be blamed for bringing them so if i were you i would try and raise the coop if possible. As i said as well as guarding against rats making a nest under it your birds will gain about another 4 x 4 foot of extra ground space and you,ll have somewhere to hang your feeder to keep food dry. Half an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure at the end of the day,up to you though. :thumbright:

adam_fozz

Post by adam_fozz » 13 Oct 2011, 11:35

Thanks Laffin, I'll consider my options at the weekend and report back. I had been moving the feeder into the coop at night to help prevent attracting vermin...but the last thing I want is them sniffing it out and then gnawing their way into the coop. I have some blocks...that might be a good solution.

Adam_Fozz

Stevieblue
Chick
Chick

Post by Stevieblue » 17 Nov 2011, 15:01

Though you might like to see my run.
Doesn't quite look this dapper anymore as its been in use for a year now.
And it now has hanging baskets and an extention coming out of the side.
All built by my own fair hand and I'm pretty proud of it.
I built it so that if ever the day comes that I get fed up of keeping chicken (unlikely at the moment) then I can just clad it and have a really nice workshop.
Anyway...this is it in the process of being built from start to finish.
coop1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x Blue Orpington, 1 x Buff Orpington, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Cream Legbar, 1 x Bluebell, 1 x Maran Cuivree, 1 x Brown Nick. 1 x White Star, 1 x Speckledy, 1 x Welsummer, 1 x Copper Black Maran and 1 x Speckled Sussex. And I was only ever gonna get two or three. How on earth did I end up with twelve?. Ah well.

Stevieblue
Chick
Chick

Post by Stevieblue » 17 Nov 2011, 15:08

How did these get right back here??
1 x Blue Orpington, 1 x Buff Orpington, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Cream Legbar, 1 x Bluebell, 1 x Maran Cuivree, 1 x Brown Nick. 1 x White Star, 1 x Speckledy, 1 x Welsummer, 1 x Copper Black Maran and 1 x Speckled Sussex. And I was only ever gonna get two or three. How on earth did I end up with twelve?. Ah well.

CP

Post by CP » 17 Nov 2011, 15:16

What do you mean? :?
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero