no
67%

Total votes: 6

nigel
Hen
Hen

What do you think?

Post by nigel » 23 Jul 2005, 11:04

When we first started keeping hens last year (it seems longer) we bought this starter kit from Meadowsweet Poultry. When we expanded in February we bought Grosvenor Standard from Littleacre products and intended closing the original small house down and keeping it for emergencies/isolation etc. The Hens have had other ideas with 5 living in the small house and 6 in the Grosvenor.

What do you think? should I close down the small house, or leave things as they are. I suppose I don't really need to have them all in one coup. I am a little concerned that in winter 6 hens in the Grosvenor won't be enough to keep them warm.

Edit
to correct url for Grosvenor - sorry :oops:
Last edited by nigel on 23 Jul 2005, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard

George

Re: What do you think?

Post by George » 23 Jul 2005, 11:16

nigel wrote:We intended closing the original small house down and keeping it for emergencies/isolation etc. The Hens have had other ideas with 5 living in the small house and 6 in the Grosvenor.

I am a little concerned that in winter 6 hens in the Grosvenor won't be enough to keep them warm.
6 hens in a coup would be warm enough, they just fluff out their feathers more.
However, I think your original idea of keeping the smaller house for emergencies/isolation is a good idea.

CP

Post by CP » 23 Jul 2005, 11:45

The link for the Grosvenor doesn't work for me. :?

I think keeping them all in 1 house, if it's large enough, would be the easier option. It also means you ony have 1 house to clean! :)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by stephen » 23 Jul 2005, 11:54

Nigel says "tell them I'm stupid, I'll correct it in a minute".
Stephen

George

Post by George » 23 Jul 2005, 12:13

He can't be stupid, he got you didn't he ! :wink: :P :lol:

stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by stephen » 23 Jul 2005, 12:16

LOL! Yeah, right. I think that gives the proof, doesn't it?
Stephen

Lisa

Post by Lisa » 23 Jul 2005, 13:32

I voted no.... because who am I to argue with the hens :lol:

I've still to get round to getting my new house built. My brother in law has agreed to build it. I've given him the weld mesh etc (he's sourcing the wood) but is waiting for the picture and dimensions :oops: I'm giving him a piccie of the Grosvenor, but can't decided how big. I'm inclined to go for the standard and then I'll have "room to grow" :wink:

Is there anything on the Grosvenor you'd change? I remember you said (I think it was you :? ) that the shallow pull out tray was not such a good idea on a windy day, so I was thinking fixed floor and full panel access at the back instead?)

Thinking about the size, I always understood that damp and draughts were the killer, not cold. So as long as those are avoided I would be happy to put my birds in a bigger than normally recommended house - they'll fluff and huddle to keep warm as need be.

Actually - thanks Nigel. Problem sorted :P No more dithering - time to email the larger size to my brother-in-law...

And finally, the only reason I could think of to put all your hens in one house would be if it is more convenient for you.

annie

Post by annie » 24 Jul 2005, 05:39

I think it's great to have a little extra space so would keep things as they are you could always leave the doors open one night till very late and watch them vote with their feet thats fair :wink:

nigel
Hen
Hen

Post by nigel » 24 Jul 2005, 06:25

Thanks everyone. If they're not going to get cold in winter they can keep both houses. I don't want to upset the status quo and we have no problems with the pecking order. As for the extra cleaning I don't mind really and the chickens are always so helpful :D

Lisa
It was me that said the slide out floor wasn't as useful as I thought it would be. It's very shallow - less than 1" - and so when you come to remove it it dumps the soiled shavings and straw under the house. What does remain in the floor tray gets blown everywhere, usually all over me, when pulled out. I think on reflection it would work better with a fixed floor and a larger door. If you're having to reach in to sweep the shavings up it's awkward through the half door. The only other thing I would have changed with the grosvenor is I think the roosting bars are a little low and I'd probably raise them slightly.

Annie,
They do vote with their feet 5 to the small house 6 to the large house.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard

Lisa

Post by Lisa » 24 Jul 2005, 09:35

Thanks Nigel :D

nigel
Hen
Hen

Post by nigel » 24 Jul 2005, 09:52

Lisa

have you seen the line drawings of the grosvenor on CountryFayre's website

http://countryfayre-countrystore.co.uk/ ... svenor.pdf

added to the picture it may help the brother-in-law
-Kirkegaard