Silver Spangled Hamburghs

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Ex Moderator

Silver Spangled Hamburghs

Post by Ex Moderator » 29 Oct 2005, 15:10

This thread is for Silver Spangled Hamburghs.

fenwoman

Post by fenwoman » 01 Dec 2005, 22:48

Silver spangled hamburghs are very pretty birds. They are white with black spots making them look like Dalmatian dogs. They are supposed to be flighty but I have to say my own experience is that this is not so with my own birds which are handled easily. They are one of the best layers I have and lay a large (for the size of chicken )pure white egg.
They are said not to go broody but one of my hens does.

ilex

Re: Silver Spangled Hamburghs

Post by ilex » 20 Aug 2009, 21:00

Please could you tell me how to sex hamburg chick`s and what is the earliest age that you can sex them ?. Is there are certain way to sex them because of there breed ? mine are 4 weeks old and look the same :idea: maybe they are the same . has anyone got photo`s of chicks .I have had a look on feather site but not really helpful .Thank You :grin:

ilex

Post by ilex » 21 Aug 2009, 08:29

PLEASE can anyone help sexing my Silver Spangled Hamburg chicks ?see previos post please.I am sorry no photo`s but they do not stay still long enough for me to take a snap shot . :(

heathers.nags

Post by heathers.nags » 04 Nov 2009, 05:07

Hi there..... Mine were sexable at about 4 weeks. The males have a definate red mark on their bottom beak by the chin as well as the red rose on their heads.
The females do not have the red on the beak. Both are very handleable and can get very tame. One of my cocks plays with the dogs and catches a ride on my labradors back...... much to her annoyance sometimes lol

ilex

Post by ilex » 04 Nov 2009, 09:36

Thank you heathers.nags :grin: That is very helpful. I have now noticed the bird`s with very red rose on their head have a slight raised nodule at the back . I suppose that`s the start of a leader. Apart from that and the very slight reddening under the chin they look all the same #-o And yes i find our`s are friendly bird` too :grin:

Student Photographer

Post by Student Photographer » 12 Nov 2009, 15:03

Hi!! I'm a photography student from Newport, South Wales. I'm looking for chickens to photograph and I thought that this beautiful breed would be perfect. Would anyone be interested? I'm preferably looking for people who live near South Wales but if you don't live near just let me know and I'll see if I can sort something out.

heathers.nags

Post by heathers.nags » 19 Nov 2009, 20:34

Hi there.....
I woould love you photograph mine... both the ones out in the wild... ( Very tame) and the one at home.
Biff, as i have called him, the one at home, will one day be on tv.... we are in training at present.. lol He is very photogenic!!!!!

heathers.nags

Post by heathers.nags » 19 Nov 2009, 20:35

Sorry..... Forgot to say. I am in South Yorkshire if you are ever out this way...

Student Photographer

Post by Student Photographer » 28 Nov 2009, 18:42

heathers.nags wrote:Hi there.....
I woould love you photograph mine... both the ones out in the wild... ( Very tame) and the one at home.
Biff, as i have called him, the one at home, will one day be on tv.... we are in training at present.. lol He is very photogenic!!!!!
e.

Sorry for the late reply. I couldn't find wear I posted my messsage. I'm new to forums. I'm afraid South Yorkshires a bit too far for me to travel but thanks for the offer!