Andalusians

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

LauraMH

Re: Andalusians

Post by LauraMH » 19 Mar 2009, 00:33

I have 2 Andalusian hens. 1 Blue hen and 1 Splash Hen. Bantams.
They are so sweet and adorable aswell. They do love a good talk tho, they sound like a giggly wiggley ball when they start lol

We've only had them 2 weeks (on Saturday) and had 6 eggs so far from the 2 girls.
I have put 6 eggs I got via ebay in the incubator, looking like 4 poss 5 are fertile at day 4 candling. So got my fingers crossed for a cockeral to rear on for my 2 ladies. I just stumbled across them really as I was buying 2 silver spangled Appenzellers and the lady also had these 2 for sale, and after seeing pics of them I was smiten lol

Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Tia Maria » 19 Mar 2009, 08:36

Lucky you, good luck with the hatching :-) :-)
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk

power poultry

Post by power poultry » 20 Aug 2009, 22:02

Hi guys,

We have a trio of blue's hope to show a couple at the national this year so will not be breeding from them till next year.

Our boy is suck a poser the second you are out there he jumps on his perch and does a full pose look at me I'm hot. :lol:

siouxsie

Post by siouxsie » 20 Aug 2009, 22:31

I have a couple of Andie hens, a blue and a splash - they can't be quite pure - although I bred them as such - because their combs just aren't as substantial as the leghorn combs. However they are cracking girls and lay beautiful white eggs for a long season. They have a good beady eye and free range far and wide. I did have a handsome blue cock too, but moved him on a year or so ago.

power poultry

Post by power poultry » 08 Sep 2009, 20:37

Here is Mr Poser himself

westcork

Post by westcork » 09 Oct 2009, 11:17

I am looking at keeping Andalusians and have a number of questions:
1) Can anyone put me in touch with breeders (preferably in Ireland as I live in West Cork)
2) Can eggs be sent from the UK to Ireland to be hatched (sorry I am very new at this)
3) How high does the fencing need to be to keep the birds in. I shall have an enclosed run but would like to give them controlled access to the garden.
4) Are the cockerals very noisy. We only have one near neighbour and he has hens so we shouldn't receive any complaints.
5)Any help, advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Tia Maria » 09 Oct 2009, 14:12

I don't have an Andalucian cockerel but my hen is almost as noisy as my Maran cockerel!!

She is lovely, lays regularly, went broody and successfully hatched and raised chicks but boy does she like to talk!!!

She has to announce when she is going to lay, is laying, has laid and if she thinks she's been enclosed in the run too long.

She really reminds me of a volatile, spanish senorita - I wouldn't get rid of her though
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk

westcork

Post by westcork » 09 Oct 2009, 15:24

Tia Maria
Can you recommend a breeder ?

power poultry

Post by power poultry » 09 Oct 2009, 16:14

I will second that my lad is very vocal.

Also rember the Cocks at 12 months can turn sharp and be a bit flighty you will need high fencing.

They can fly I tend to keep mine in covered runs.

Also when you breed Blue to Blue you Get Splash and black chicks aswell.These if you Want to show can not be shown.

But they can be used fro breeding Black and splash should give you 100% Blue but the lacing will not be as good.

My lad is now coming up to 9 months and now has his full lacing unlike the image above and has all his black.

Plus a great red face at last.

To find stock contact the rare breed club they have a list of breeders.

Membership is £10 a year

westcork

Post by westcork » 09 Oct 2009, 16:42

OK thanks for your help

westcork

Post by westcork » 12 Oct 2009, 21:05

Can I let Andalusians free range ? We have no immediate neighbours living in rural west cork. Will the birds return to their house ?