Cream Legbars

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

soufle
Chick
Chick

Re: Cream Legbars

Post by soufle » 19 Mar 2013, 11:51

Hi Nick ,the eventual aim is to fence the whole paddock with high wire like you have done and a single electric strand around the top .We are on the edge of a small village too and locals feed the foxes so its a real and present danger. We will be using a mains fencer and its already connected to strands around the current restricted set up so I hope theyve already been for a sniff and decided maybe to give it a miss.
My rooster hasnt had his wings clipped although the girls have. Would he leave them to try and range further d'you think ? I present them all with small treats during the day as I'm around in the hope that they will come running when I arrive. Is the way to a chickens heart through its stomach ? :grin:
As a side not ,Ive noticed one or two loose feathers.WHAAT ! Is it unusual at this time of year ? They all look well enough .Would changing home/ feed/management be enough to spark a moult in some of them I wonder??
Barbara

CP

Post by CP » 20 Mar 2013, 02:23

Is the way to a chickens heart through its stomach ?
Most definitely! We only have to appear at the window or the door & they come running in case there's some delicious morsel or 2! =P~ :lol:

Moulting can happen at odd times of the year....we currently have 1 or 2 girls who are trying their hardest to look like Transylvanian Naked Necks! :lol: :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 20 Mar 2013, 06:54

These seem like lovely birds but there is no one near me selling them

Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Post by Natchosdad » 20 Mar 2013, 11:13

Where are you Kelly? there's loads of people out there with them.
Nick
North Warwickshire

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 20 Mar 2013, 11:36

Hi CP , Ive noticed a nice little communal singing that starts up too when they hear the gate opening ,it squeaks ,we dont oil it as its a good burglar alarm !
It has been a funny old winter so maybe the birds have stressed a bit about it. The day mine arrived it was blowing a gale , causing some nifty applications of galebreaker aginst the prevailing wind, then they got wet through one day and went to bed bedraggled.As a new chicken keeper I lost sleep over that.
The positive is that I now try and forsee any problems and hopefully get in there first. We are on the coast and although the prevailing wind is from the west ,if we get an easterly its bitter cold.
Barbara

craiggillibrand
Chick
Chick

Post by craiggillibrand » 20 Mar 2013, 23:53

Natchosdad wrote:
They sound like good layers craiggillibrand - know where to come for outcrosses now :mrgreen: , I had another one of mine start yesterday (It was about pigeon sized :lol: ) so thats 4 out of 4 laying now but they've only been with me just over a week so I'm happy.
Mine aren't the purist out there as they all lay different coloured eggs. But as I only want them for eggs not breeding this is a bonus really as I know exactly who has layed and when. I get 1 blue, 1 green and 1 pink which look really pretty in the kitchen. They are good looking birds though very friendly and full of character
My first few eggs were quite small but now are a good size would easily equal a large shop egg but taste and look so much better
3 lemon millefleur sablepoot, pair serama, 5 pekins, 1 jack russel terrorist, large fish tank, 1 leopard gecko, 2 kids, oh and the wife

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 08 Apr 2013, 23:05

a bit quiet in here.Where is everyone ?
A couple of weeks ago I was agonising over letting my new hens out into the wide world, especially after seeing a pic posted by Wilt ( I think) of his CLBs roosting up a tree. Eventually I plucked up courage and when I opened the door, this is what happened.....phew..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HucrA_x9DX4

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 12 Apr 2013, 19:05

This breed has been the cause of much discussion both here and on international sites recently. The genetics is complex and poorly understood. Sure glad I dont keep them! :grin: :grin: :grin:
If you have nothing
Give it away

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 12 Apr 2013, 19:43

Hi all - thought you might like to see piccies of this years first youngsters. Photos are not all that good as they rarely seem to stand still, but I think you can get some idea.
1YoungCLmaleapr2013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 12 Apr 2013, 20:49

oh, theyre lovely darkbrowneggs .How old are they ?

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 12 Apr 2013, 22:11

I think they went in as a test hatch for fertility for someone very early this year, so I suppose they were hatched towards the end Jan sometime. I broke out three of them (all fertile) and just couldn't bear to open the rest so I had a very early unplanned hatch.

By the way pure bred Cream Legbar cockerels are well known for being aggressive towards humans, and though mine are generally pretty good - by that I mean I can pick up any of their hens whilst they are in the pen without any problems apart from maybe a couple of steps towards me with neck feathers out - but I understand that Natchosdad's "Gregory Peck" is being a bit stroppy. I blame myself for that Natchosdad wanted some photos of him before coming over, and as I don't walk all that well , and also knowing once he had seen the photos he would want him :lol: I left him in the pen I used to photo him in.

To make matters worse I had another young cockerel I wanted to test for fertility, so he went in the pen where Gregory Peck had been, so not only was Gregory unable to get to his girls, some hated crowing rival was making free with them.

When Natchosdad arrived, we caught up his girls first, and of course by the time we went to get Gregory out of his pen he was beside himself with rage and now doesnt think much of Natchosdad.

I totally agree with other posters that no male which shows agression should be trusted anywhere there are, or maybe children, but if, especially when the teenage hormones are first kicking in, you take the offender off the perch at night, then with him firmly under one arm so he cannot even struggle, and the other hand keeping his head lower than his shoulders walk round, or sit and watch the TV speaking gently and calmly in time you will have an effect.

I had a particularly aggressive Marans young male from someone, and although it took a few weeks he responded to this (though he wasn't kept for breeding in the end).

At first he was so pecky I had to firmly hold the bottom mandible between thumb and forefinger, but fairly quickly he allowed me to just hold his head down with my hand, and although he was never that friendly - my Marans will generally talk to me and offer me tidbits if spoken to - he would do his little dance when I approached

There is no need for any aggression whilst carrying them around - in fact the calmer and more friendly you are the better they respond.

You are not trying to fight them, simply prove that you are bigger and stronger and will always win.

Also if you have a male like this which you need to keep for breeding then never allow him to mount a female whilst he is in view of you. Make sure you catch him and repeat the above proceedure. And if he ever challenges you then you must, without fail catch him and repeat the procedure. Don't allow them to free range until they are "trained"

Once they are fairly calm you can walk about with them and do other things, but if you are still worried you might get a peck then hold him reversed with his head backwards under your arm and his legs firmly between your hand, which leaves the other hand free for whatever tasks you need to perform

Having said all this I would never choose to breed from such a bird. And I would never trust him not to attack anyone else.
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 13 Apr 2013, 10:16

Well I must say I have never had an aggressive cream legbar cock bird. How strange. :scratch: :scratch:
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 13 Apr 2013, 10:43

I am from Chichester in west sussex

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 13 Apr 2013, 10:59

Kelly-salmon wrote:I am from Chichester in west sussex
Are you on FB Kelly? this lady has some nice leggies.

http://www.facebook.com/bonnie.hall.5283
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 13 Apr 2013, 11:06

oooh ! thats all interesting stuff DBE .He did do the little sideways dance with me this morning . I'll make sure I catch the little bleeper next time he goes to do anything.
I did keep them confined in a run for about one month and in that time he never showed any aggression at all which is why its taken me by surprise.Theyve been out of the run for about three weeks. An area within 50 metres of EF netting.
Could someone perhaps take a look at this e bay ad. for hatching eggs? Its not too far from me and i could collect .I know its not the same as seeing them in the flesh and I will if I decided to go that route but just wondered if its worth pursuing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cream-Legbar- ... true&rt=nc
thanks