CONFUZZLED MUCH?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Euphoria

CONFUZZLED MUCH?

Post by Euphoria » 10 Jun 2015, 12:33

Me and the wife bought 6 goldline pullets at easter and one is white, has big comb and wattles and has started ER-ERROOO!-ing in the mornings now. these are the first chickens i have had but even i recognise a cockrell when i hear one. my neighbours warned me against getting a cock as they (understandably) don't want a rude awakening at silly a.m every day. Harry (the cock) isn't that loud yet, and only does it a couple of times a day but i can see my neighbours getting vexed, and probably me too. how can i stop him ER ERROO!-ing? it has to be a male, all the others are ginger and he is white.

help gratefully received

Moriarty

Re: CONFUZZLED MUCH?

Post by Moriarty » 10 Jun 2015, 22:37

I'm not sure the colour has much to do with it, and it sounds like you have a cockerel. Could you not contact the breeder or wherever you bought him from ? If he is a cockerel then you're likely to get early morning crowing and upset your neighbours.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 11 Jun 2015, 00:15

You can't humanely stop him from crowing ( apart from culling him ) but you could try bringing him inside your house so that the volume isn't quite as bad when he starts crowing in the early hours.

Do you have a cupboard under the stairs ? You could try him in a ventilated box in there overnight maybe ? No more lie-ins for you and the wife though ! :)
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 11 Jun 2015, 07:29

Get back to the seller. Goldline are a hybrid and all sold as pullets. They got the sex wrong and should take back the cock. There's little point in getting a replacement from them as it might not integrate with your present group, but they may offer proportionate cost. Sexing mistakes happen, and whilst he'll probably end in the pot, that is better than a major falling out with your neighbours.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Post by Fast Farmer » 11 Jun 2015, 13:39

Ditto Henwifes post. In addition I should mention that Goldlines are a sex-linked hybrid, they are created by using a gold gene cockerel - usually Rhode Island Red, onto a silver hen - Light Sussex. This creates the sex link whereby the pullets inherit the gold gene of the cockerel but he cannot pass the gene onto his sons.....therefore.......at 1 day old sexing should be possible as all pullets will have fluff which is darker than the cockerels which should be white-ish. However!!!! it is not always a 100% certainty, last year I raised 150 Goldlines "pullets" from 1 week olds........7 ended up as cockerels ! Would be interested to know the age at purchase, if you were sold the cockerel when it had already feathered up white I would certainly ask for my money back.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 11 Jun 2015, 16:49

The problem is, despite common misconceptions, cockerels' crow all day. Not just at silly-o'clock. A lot of people assume that they only crow in the mornings. Granted, that's probably the most annoying time, but likewise, neighbours often don't take too kindly to constant cock-a-doodle-doo'ing all day long, so even keeping him in the house/garage/shed overnight won't really quieten him down much. It'll just delay the noise.

As above comments, your options are limited if you don't want to piss off your neighbours, so it's either fatten him up for a few more weeks, and do the deed (he'll make a yummy curry at that age), or send him back for a refund. As a respectable breeder, he should be able to tell a sex linked chick.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Post by Fast Farmer » 11 Jun 2015, 18:13

Goldline cockerels......awaiting there day of destiny !.....but dont expect a huge amount of meat.

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Post by brooksidepoultry » 26 Jul 2015, 08:46

You have 3 options, all of which end up in not keeping him but it's the unfortunate fate of most cockerals or excess male poultry:

1.) Cull him, cook him & eat him - not nice I know but you know how the meats being reared & get a good meal out of it. ( Personally I think all poultry keepers should be prepared to cull their own stock, when the needs occur & I know people understandably don't like culling birds but on welfare grounds it sometimes needs to be done.)

2.) Return it to the breeder & try to get a refund.

3.) Try & re-home him but no-one really wants cock birds on their own, or take him down a local poultry auction & probably end up spending more on fuel & auction fees, than what you get paid for him - which would probably be £4-5 at best. I know people who take loads of cocks down & they sell for roughly 20p-£2

It's like yesterday I was offered a cracking gold sebright cock but I said to the bloke I won't pay you more than a couple of quid for a cock which is the going rate, because without good females the cock is essentially worthless. Then if you don't get rid of cocks, which I find you always end up with more of you get overrun - which is why I always tell people the blunt truth if their buying birds off me as novices & want a cock & to hatch their own chicks, that they will have problems with cocks if their not prepared to eat / cull them.
A country lass who loves it all x.

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 01 Aug 2015, 06:33

We are not allowed to keep cockerels on our land but interestingly someone further away in the village now has one and it is causing uproar in the village. Personally I love to hear this natural sound but then most people don't. Way of the world it seems .....
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser