My worst moulter!

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

lifeflower
Chick
Chick

My worst moulter!

Post by lifeflower » 16 Apr 2015, 09:22

It's that time again and my buff Orpington girl finished trying to hatch eggs after 4 weeks and promptly dropped most of her feathers! She really looks a mess but the new feathers are coming through fast. Do any of yours look this bad?? She's lost neck feathers, tail feathers and body feathers - more than the others I've had!

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Re: My worst moulter!

Post by laffinfowl » 16 Apr 2015, 20:04

Can,t view your pic. I have a hen who hatches about 3 clutches a year without fail and during the course of brooding one of the clutches she drops all her feathers for no apparent reason. I just feed her some mashed up sardines and she is fully feathered again in no time. The sardines should be in sunflower oil though rather than brine as that contains too much salt.
p.s.as an aside what language is that under your post and what does it mean please ?

subruss

Re: My worst moulter!

Post by subruss » 17 Apr 2015, 10:44

I always worry about the Gestapo sorry I mean the RSPCA seeing some of my birds during moult they really do look a mess as they would not know the difference between moult and neglect.