whats best for a fence?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

oowee1
Chick
Chick

whats best for a fence?

Post by oowee1 » 14 Jan 2015, 20:26

I have my new arrivals and will look at a permanent site for them this weekend. I was thinking of a permanent open area secured with fixed wire fencing (how high how large an area), from this i was thinking of a mobile electric fence that i could provide them secure access to a variety of areas to reduce wear.
I am now thinking maybe make the fence only mobile. Whats the best approach I have plenty of space, but i am thinking of maintenance and wear (it can't look scruffy lol).
Either way i will set up the mobile fence in other areas throughout the year and let the birds have a play. How do you move them? Is it a case of picking them up one by one?
Sorry for so many questions.

phoebe
Chick
Chick

Re: whats best for a fence?

Post by phoebe » 15 Jan 2015, 10:48

If you are going to make a permanent run that you can move it would have to be at least 10 square metres in size for 5 chicken.

It would need to be made out of weldmesh and have a roof. If it was in a permanent position it would have to be dug into the ground with paving slabs around the outside. However, as you want to move it you would need a three strand electric fence around the outside to stop predators.

When I want to move my chicken from one run to another I feed them with wheat in the new run and hope they all go in.

jennibos

Post by jennibos » 15 Jan 2015, 11:12

Not sure about the fence, but I buy packets of mealworms from Home Bargains for 99p each. I just have to shake the bag and they follow me anywhere! so just throw down a trail of them into your new area and they will be there quick as a flash!

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 15 Jan 2015, 11:49

If it's mobile, then your only option is to electrify it. A fox can easily dig under anything at surface level (unless it's solid floor), and easily scale over anything under 6 foot (I have personally witnessed a fox clear a 6 foot fence with my Staffie chasing it). Aerial predators are also a consideration. Buzzards are capable of taking a chicken, so if they're in your area, stork netting may also be beneficial. Something like Herras fencing is easily movable, looks ok, and should be easy to attach electric fencing to. Other than that, the plastic fencing stuff (not sure what it's called) would also be fairly good for the job.

Weldmesh and such are good for a permanent fixed run, but would be difficult to use in a movable run.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 15 Jan 2015, 15:43

oowee1 wrote: I have plenty of space,
Not sure what 'plenty' means but if it's PLENTY then why not create a HUGE permanent run around a hen house in the middle (taking care to dig the fencing down and concrete around the edge)

Then get some light weight fencing to section off chunks of the run for recovery times... once the hens have destroyed one area you can section that off and et them have a new section and so on and so forth.... I'm not good at explaining what I men so here is an aerial view of what I mean... that way you can plant interesting things in the recovery section so they get some fun every 6 weeks or so...
rotation run.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

phoebe
Chick
Chick

Post by phoebe » 15 Jan 2015, 19:12

MamaOwl wrote:
oowee1 wrote: I have plenty of space,
Not sure what 'plenty' means but if it's PLENTY then why not create a HUGE permanent run around a hen house in the middle (taking care to dig the fencing down and concrete around the edge)

rotation run.png
I have got 2 runs side by side, but with chicken houses in both runs. They use one run at a time. Your divided run looks like a good idea, but my chicken would use both runs as they would use the roof of the chicken house as a 'stepping stone' between the two areas. I would have to clip their wings to keep them in the run.

oowee1
Chick
Chick

Post by oowee1 » 17 Jan 2015, 20:26

Some really good ideas on here thank you. We put the hen house on the back of the trailer and tractor to move it to higher ground today so its out of the water. I like the idea of a recovery area and was thinking to put in some things to make life more interesting. I have also got the water feeder off the ground and that solved the leak. I will update with a few pictures when i get it sorted.