New arrivals

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

oowee1
Chick
Chick

New arrivals

Post by oowee1 » 11 Jan 2015, 22:51

Yesterday i picked up the chicken house from Milton Keynes on the trailer back to Somerset complete with 5 ISA Browns (70 weeks old), feeders and bag of sawdust and food and grit. Pictures to follow.
Unfortunately the drive home removed most of the plastic roof which being old was somewhat brittle. Today a quick trip to B&Q for a couple of sheets of roofing to repair it.
The chickens laid 4 eggs for me today which i guess they brought with them i would imagine the trauma of the move might put them off for a bit.
Whilst i was rebuilding the roof i let them out into a ring of sheep fencing which they seemed to like.
Questions. 1 of the birds is clearly bigger than the others and I was told it was neither a cockrell or a hen, although apart from the size it looks the same. It seems to be shunned by the other birds (it came from a different hut than the others) and whilst the others were happy to go into the coop this one preferred to stay outside. Should i just leave it to get on with it?
Is the sheep fencing with its square openings (roughly 100mm x 150mm)sufficient to keep them in or will they be able to go through the holes?
Should i mix the grit with the food (its some sort of egg laying mash) and if so how much?

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: New arrivals

Post by crazypianolady » 11 Jan 2015, 23:59

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, the move might put the girls off lay for a while. There again, it might not! ;) :roll: :lol:

Sheep fencing won't keep your flock in, or predators out, sorry to say. So make sure they're all securely locked in their coop at night or the fox will get them. :(

Any photos of the odd one out?

Put the mixed grit in a seperate pot for them, they'll take it as they need it. :)

Feed their mash 'ad lib' - put it out in the morning and take it up before dusk. (Makes them clean up their crumbs, discourages vermin!)

:)

CP

Post by CP » 12 Jan 2015, 02:37

If it's neither a cockerel nor a hen....what is it??? :scratch: :lol:

Oh, totally agree with CPL. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 12 Jan 2015, 14:22

Now very intrigued by the mystery bird....can't wait to see the pic.

oowee1
Chick
Chick

Post by oowee1 » 13 Jan 2015, 09:34

Took the advice, thank you, re the sheep fencing. When i put it out yesterday to do some work on the house the hens started to be very keen to get back inside. I watched as the first one made its way back squeezing through the bars. I picked her up and put her back inside. Ten mins later another tried to do the same. So picked her up and put her back in to see her rush up the ramp. Then i realised they wanted to lay so picked up all four and dropped them back in the house leaving 'Bob' because the odd one has to have a name, alone.
I was rewarded with 4 more eggs one of which I dropped :( .
Yesterday the heavens opened and left the house in 2 inches of water so this morning I walked it to higher ground and started to look at where would be best for a permanent site. It seems to me that i have to have a hard surface for under the house and as an access way. I think i will also go for an area of permanent open space for them and get some portable fencing to give them access to other parts.
Also my water tub is one of these plastic ones that you fill and turn over and by morning its empty is this usual?
Now how do i up load a picture.

oowee1
Chick
Chick

Post by oowee1 » 13 Jan 2015, 10:21

Not so easy to upload but here goes. This is the new hen house in temporary location. I need to put it somewhere with decent drainage not sure where yet.
The next are pictures of my half male female bird 'Bob' (apologies to anyone called Bob) :mrgreen:
Image Temporary location for hen house.
ImageBob 1
Image Bob 2.

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 13 Jan 2015, 11:32

You may find this link interesting. I certainly learned something.

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.c ... icken.html
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

phoebe
Chick
Chick

Post by phoebe » 13 Jan 2015, 19:01

I find those plastic water containers difficult to handle and use the metal type in the summer and a washing up bowl in the winter. It should retain some water at this time of year as you only have 5 hens. Is it on a flat surface?

I suggest you buy an electric poultry fence and surround the house/run that you have bought with the fence as your setup will be more secure and the fence is easy and quick to erect and move to fresh ground.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 13 Jan 2015, 20:04

Dunno bout Bob
It dunno whether it's Arthur or Martha! (Or as we say down the Dog and Ferret - it's a bit of a mosaic gynandromorph)
If you have nothing
Give it away

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 14 Jan 2015, 11:32

If your water container is at any sort of angle, it will drain itself, hence be empty. 5 hens would take a good few days to empty that. Is there anywhere where it can be hung, about 6-10" from the floor? That way, gravity will take care of keeping it level. If it still leaks then, try some vaseline on the bit where the white part fits into the red part. Mine leaks there sometimes, but a smear of vaseline on the tongue and groove bit (for want of a better description) sorts it out.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

oowee1
Chick
Chick

Post by oowee1 » 14 Jan 2015, 20:15

Thank you for the advice and links. This weekend I am going to look at where best to position the house long term. We are fortunate with lots of space but i have to consider my wife's sensitivities :-). She does not want to see them anywhere near the house, lawn, orchard etc so i have to look to tuck them out of the way. Also thinking about what to do with the bottom of the chicken house. It seems that even with a few birds this will soon turn to mud so was thinking of a few slabs and the same with access ways. I have a few left over from new path so i think i will bring these into use.