Ex - Batts

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Ex - Batts

Post by Miss Chooks » 07 Jan 2015, 14:59

Hello all, been a while since I was on here. I have reserved 2 ex-batts that are due at the end of the month. I currently have 2 Sablepoots (1 a boy), a Sablepoot X & a "not quite sure". I have made a small run (2 x 2 ft.) to put in the big run so they can all get acquainted whilst protecting the newbies. I have never had ex-batts or even integrated hens before, just felt the need to do my bit for the chickens. I have been told they are caged hens and that they are going through a heavy moult – so will probably look oven ready! The big run is completely sheltered from the wind and rain (I do spoil them). I will put them in the large dog cage (with plenty of bedding) in the garage at night. I was hoping after a week I could let them free range in the garden to see how they get along? Please feel free to give me some advice… I need it!!

phoebe
Chick
Chick

Re: Ex - Batts

Post by phoebe » 07 Jan 2015, 21:02

If you are re-homing ex battery hens in the winter I think you should be prepared to keep them inside until the spring or at least until they are fully feathered and the weather is a bit warmer. Although your run is protected from wind and rain, the temperature is very low and they will have been kept in a shed up until now.

How are you planning to provide them with food and water in your temporary run?

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 08 Jan 2015, 09:34

I have a couple of small feeders that I can hang from the side and a spare water dispenser. When you say "inside" do you mean in the house? and not the garage. I was going to put them in my house if/when the weather starts to freeze but currently the temp is not too bad. I was also advised the the cold weather (not freezing) will promote the feather growth?

phoebe
Chick
Chick

Post by phoebe » 08 Jan 2015, 10:50

I meant inside a shed where the temperature will be similar to what they are used to. How are you going to fit the feeder, two drinkers and two hens in a 2ft x 2ft run? If they are going to stay in the run for any length of time the recommended space for a hen is 2 square metres.

To integrate chicken I have two runs side by side (with chicken houses in each). After a week or two I make 1 run out of the 2 for a few days, have various feeders and drinkers dotted around and then when they have settled down split the runs again. I find it useful to be able to move the hens from one run to the other during the winter.

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 09 Jan 2015, 17:23

Sorry...the run 4ft x 2 ft. When they are ready to go in the main run there will be 3 feeding stations and 2 water stations. The main run is 12ft x 12ft. There are perches/ladders/log and even a swing. I hang lots of fruit and veggies to keep them occupied. If they are really bald they will be in the garage, on a work bench so no draughts and covered over. I will put them in the 4ft run in the garden at the weekend for an hour where I can keep an eye on them (weather permitting).