Got my new girls and boy - when to worm?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Got my new girls and boy - when to worm?

Post by Miss Chooks » 18 Aug 2014, 15:22

Hello all,
At last I am a chicken keeper again! :grin: :cheers: I bought a pair of Lavender Sablepoot male & female (Harold & Annie), a white (very fluffy) pekin (Mabel) and a bearded peakin x Sablepoot (Gladys). The lady said they were about 12 - 14 weeks old and the cock about 16 weeks. Although they had food and water where they came from, room seemed a little concerning so they will think they are at the Ritz now :) I de-loused them, put them in the run, hopefully not too traumatized after travelling for about an hour, they dust-bathed for a good 30 mins (didn't see any sort of dust-bath where they came from). I sat outside the run watching them; I wanted to make sure they found the water and food. My question is, can I worm them now? Looking at where they came from I suspect they have never been wormed. I will put some photos up when I work out how: oops:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Got my new girls and boy - when to worm?

Post by drfish » 18 Aug 2014, 15:38

It certainly won't do any harm. Even if they were wormed recently, I@d do them anyway just for peace of mind.

All my lot need doing in the next week or two. Bloody painful task mixing up 2kg of pellets and worm powder every morning. :roll: :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

ladyplumber

Re: Got my new girls and boy - when to worm?

Post by ladyplumber » 18 Aug 2014, 17:54

It's much easier if you use Marriage's pre-treated pellets from FarmandPetPlace .They have 10kg and 20kg sacks.

They're situated in Wales, but they only charge £2.99 for delivery - mine arrived only 2 days after I ordered it :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Re: Got my new girls and boy - Arghhh sneezing chickens!

Post by Miss Chooks » 18 Aug 2014, 21:10

I now have another problem, yesterday (about an hour of bringing them home) I noticed after the 2 Sablepoots had a drink they started sneezing. Didn't think much at the time but come home after work today and they are both still sneezing. :( I checked them both, the cockerel (Harold) had a slighty wet beak but the female (Annie) seemed dry. I also noticed that when they are resting they breath in through their nostrils and out through their beak. They already have ACV in their water, will put a clove of crushed garlic in to. Should I separate them from the other 2? I have attached pictures of Harold. I have also attached a picture of a Pekin (Mabel), just wondering how old you think she is?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.