They refuse to lay

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

lisval

They refuse to lay

Post by lisval » 07 Aug 2014, 19:06

PLEASE HELP we purchased 3 point of lay hens two years ago. after a few weeks they began to lay.We then introduced 3 more point of lay hens and after the usual cufuffle they all settled down and 5 of the 6 hens began to lay. 1 hen suddenly passed away (the one that never laid an egg). the hens were checked and are free from parasites. just after Christmas the hens decided to regress back to point of lay!! And that is the point!!The two hens that lay blue eggs are laying virtually every day the rest are NOT, they are fed on layers pellets have a handful of corn 4 times a week they have access to the garden and still no brown eggs! Suggestions please

ladyplumber

Re: They refuse to lay

Post by ladyplumber » 07 Aug 2014, 20:23

Possible causes - these particular hens are probably not happy with the hot weather ( I know mine aren't and most of them aren't laying because of it ),

they've started to moult

they're too fat and lazy from snacking on corn

Corn is fattening, and also creates heat within their body. It's good in the winter to help them keep warm, but it could be exacerbating your present problem of "egglessness" due to the hot summer we're having ( for a change) .

Layers pellets or mash contains everything nutritionally they need, but if you like to scatter treats for them straight wheat is less fattening and doesn't heat them up as corn does :thumbright:

All hens behave differently - even within the same breeds and also mature at different times despite individuals being the same age, so although the blue egg layers are now laying, they can't be compared to your others .

If they're all housed in the same coop, you're sure they're all free from parasites and the coop is DEFINITELY redmite free and they're not fat, then they'll restart laying when they're ready to ............ unless we have another heatwave ! :grin:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

3441sussex
Chick
Chick

Post by 3441sussex » 07 Aug 2014, 21:37

ladyplumber wrote:straight wheat is less fattening and doesn't heat them up as corn does
What do you mean by corn? Wheat is corn.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 07 Aug 2014, 21:55

Yes, 3441sussex. The names are confusing. In UK wheat,barley, maize, oats and rye are all kinds of corn. In the USA corn is a synonym for maize (hence Kelloggs Corn Flakes). If you buy Mixed Poultry Corn it's usually wheat and maize (corn) mixed together. But you can also buy bags of Feed Wheat which, as it's name suggests, is just wheat. At this time of year most poultry aficianados reckon that plain wheat is better than mixed corn.
In my view there is no place for any of these. Poultry Pellets, 365, keeps the hens fit and productive. However Mixed Poultry Grit is essential. They need this both for extra calcium and to help grind up their food in the gizzard.
And, very under-rated, clean, fresh water.
If you have nothing
Give it away

lisval

Post by lisval » 07 Aug 2014, 22:12

Thanks everybody, not sure if the corn is the problem as it is only 1 handful of corn for all of the hens. They are certainly not fat, have checked for parasites and definately not any red mite or other creepy crawlies. They all live together, and I am puzzled because as i said before the 2 that lay blue eggs are laying regularly. As the rest stopped laying about 8 months ago I am presuming the heat is not the problem. I am at a loss.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 08 Aug 2014, 06:39

They could just be poor doers and as such you might as well convert them to coq au vin. If they all look as though they should be laying, is there anywhere that they could be laying out? If you haven't already done so, check the distance between their pin bones - the ones just below the vent - three finger width, laying, two fingers, unlikely, 1 finger definitely not. Is there any chance they could be eating their eggs but don't recognise the green ones as edible? They can be surprisingly good at hiding any evidence.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

subruss

Post by subruss » 08 Aug 2014, 09:34

After reading this I just have an image of a hen sat there with wings folded stern look on its face saying I will not lay another egg for you :lol:

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 08 Aug 2014, 19:57

:lol: Brilliant Subruss and I had a vision of them saying to each other "Leave the green ones as theres scientific evidence they can be poisonous"

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 08 Aug 2014, 21:53

My girls are down on egg production I've got a few looking a bit tatty and losing quite a few feathers, they all have very red combs and seem alert and acting normally, not a mite or louse anywhere so I've put it down to the hot weather? I keep looking for any egg eaters but not found any evidence. is it a bit early to moult? One of mine seems to have been moulting for ages:scratch:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

subruss

Post by subruss » 09 Aug 2014, 06:31

chickens can moult at any time but most start about now and finish before winter. If you get a moult closely followed by winter you can have quit a long period without eggs :( .

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 09 Aug 2014, 15:06

All my older bantams are moulting, but one of the good things about the pure breeds is that they are very discreet about it. The cocks are obvious because they look unbalanced without their tail feather.As the growers are only 17 weeks, I forsee an eggless period
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.