DIY ideas for nesting box

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

DIY ideas for nesting box

Post by Miss Chooks » 31 Jul 2014, 14:06

Hello all, I’m pleased to say that I have 4 new birds arriving in 2 weeks! SOOOoooooooo excited \:D/ :cheers: My last 4 that I had for just over 2 years were killed in the night by Mr Fox about 3 months ago, gutted wasn't the word. I have now converted a 9x6 shed and sectioned 3/4 of the space for the girls (& 1 cock). I wasn't actually expecting to get any this year but I have managed to find (not too far away from me) someone who has bred Lavender Sablepoots (my favourite) so now I have to complete everything quickly :shock: . I just have the roof to put on the run (I have the materials), make ventilation in the shed and make/buy a couple of nesting boxes. So my questions are a) ventilation, drill a few holes along the top of the shed? b) Nesting boxes, was going to buy something and just put on the floor of the shed?
Any idea's welcome: grin:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: DIY ideas for nesting box

Post by drfish » 31 Jul 2014, 14:34

My ventilation is half a dozen 4" holes drilled under the front and rear apex of the shed. I've not bothered covering them, as if a rat can climb 5 feet up a shed and then negotiate it's way into the hole, then it deserves to :lol:

My nesting boxes are the stackable kids storage bin type things. A bit like this:
largestackablebins_3.jpg
The girls seem to love them and use them freely, they're made of plastic so dead easy to clean and de-mite, and they can just be plonked on the floor of the shed, as you suggest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 31 Jul 2014, 14:41

Perfect DrFish thank you!

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 31 Jul 2014, 15:29

with the holes I'd tack some strong netting or mesh to stop rodents getting in. Plastic nestboxes are an excellent idea, for spare I've used the cat litter boxes with a roof which my cats don't use any more. Nice and cosy, there's often two squashed in there together.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

farmer Warren
Chick
Chick

Post by farmer Warren » 31 Jul 2014, 22:40

i use square plastic washing up bowls in one coop and black rubber horse feed buckets in another