New addition - maybe!

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

New addition - maybe!

Post by crazypianolady » 23 Jul 2014, 13:06

Just gone 8 last night my doorbell rang. A bloke I didn’t know stood there, asked me if I kept chickens. He’d found a decapitated one on the footpath at the bottom of our garden, and a live one was happily eating grass on a neighbours garden. He wondered if they were mine.

No, mine were safely in their run, but I went to investigate. The woman whose garden it was in had been feeding her a bagel. And some marshmallows. (!) I asked if she’d got any oats, wild bird seed, or similar, and managed to pick the hen up. She’s in lay and obviously used to being handled.

Put her in my ‘hospital’ cage and gave her pellets, mixed grit, and fresh water. She’s stressed about being in the cage, I think her and her pal must be used to wandering around all day, but otherwise okay.

I’ve posted notices locally, but I suspect after she’s done a fortnight’s quarantine in a spare coop and run she’ll be joining my gang!

:)

Diane
Hen
Hen

Re: New addition - maybe!

Post by Diane » 23 Jul 2014, 14:05

Well, she certainly was lucky to find you. :grin:

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 23 Jul 2014, 14:56

Great story! Funnily enough just today an old friend in Matlock phoned me to say that a stray cockerel turned up on his farm a week ago and tonight he is collecting a bunch of 23 week-old Warrens to keep him company. Never kept a chicken in his life before.
If you have nothing
Give it away

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 23 Jul 2014, 17:59

Lucky hen ! ( you shouldn't be opening your door to strange men tho' ) :lol:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 24 Jul 2014, 08:13

ladyplumber wrote: you shouldn't be opening your door to strange men tho' :lol:
You're absolutely right! I've been dog sitting this week, a huge dog with a ferocious bark. I kept her in the hallway with me, I stood on the doorstep with the door held so my vicious dog couldn't get out!

(Okay, okay, it's a black lab that's softer than half a pound of butter in the sun. But the bloke didn't know that! ;) )

The chook is not happy in a cage in solitary, but she's starting to know me. Or should I say, the hand that holds a few grains of corn several times a day! :lol:

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 24 Jul 2014, 11:53

I've cleaned out the coop she'll be going in - since she didn't know what pellets were, and obviously isn't used to being penned, I hope she'll quickly adapt to her very own coop and run!

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 29 Jul 2014, 15:30

A week on, and she's fit as a fiddle. She's learned that if she climbs up the logs and branches in her run, she can see and call to the other girls! :lol: I think she's lonely; but I'm giving her a few more days on her own to make sure she's okay.

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 29 Jul 2014, 23:41

Ooh we need a pic or 2 :thumbright:
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 30 Jul 2014, 06:24

lovely story, I'm sure she has found a happy home with you. Worrying however, about the decapitated hen ... is there a fox on the loose around you?
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 30 Jul 2014, 15:49

Moriarty wrote: ... is there a fox on the loose around you?
In short - yes. My hens are only free in the garden if we're out with them or my neighbours are out in their garden. (The neighbours spend a lot of time looking over the fence talking to my girls, and feeding them dandelions!)

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 30 Jul 2014, 16:19

No shortage of foxes round these parts Moriarty. Like myself, CPL is blessed with being right on the edge of rolling countryside intermingled with small town's of scruffy people who can't clean up after themselves. As well as the 'foxes are friends' brigade :angryfire:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 30 Jul 2014, 18:12

drfish wrote: As well as the 'foxes are friends' brigade :angryfire:

Yup. One person up the street puts food out for them. :roll:

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 30 Jul 2014, 18:25

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 31 Jul 2014, 09:12

Popped her in the main coop after the others had gone to bed. She came out with that 'where am I' look this morning but just followed the rest to the feeder and tucked in.

She seems to want to buddy up with the other LBH I've got. :)

So far, so good!

:grin:

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 31 Jul 2014, 10:11

You've done well to integrate a solo hen into the existing group, it's not something I'm looking forward to doing if ever the need arises ! =D>
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington