Broody hen

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

sarah0817

Broody hen

Post by sarah0817 » 22 Jul 2014, 22:45

Hello everyone

I am a newbie in this forum. My partner and I have had our chickens for about 5 years now. We currently have three.

I would like to ask about a broody hen. Nugget isn't laying eggs anymore and she just sits in nesting box with or without eggs under her. For the past week, I have been moving her out of the nesting box and close the door. I do this everyday that when she now sees me, all I have to say is "down" and she grumbles and walk out of the nesting box!

Can broody hens lay eggs again?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

soufle
Chick
Chick

Re: Broody hen

Post by soufle » 23 Jul 2014, 07:21

Hi Sarah 0817 , there should be no reason why nugget wont lay again unless she is very old. From my limited experience they can take a while to get the broodiness out of their system . I do the same to mine ,I take them off the nest spitting and squawking several timers a day.Some people have 'bespoke' broody cages , mesh floor to keep the birds undercarriage cool.!
I put mite powder on them too as its usually easy to get hold of them at this time .Mine are abit flighty.

sarah0817

Post by sarah0817 » 24 Jul 2014, 21:43

Thanks souffle!

Just to update, nugget has stopped nesting. I was surprised to see her out of the box and just happily scratching the floor! Hope to see eggs from her in a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 25 Jul 2014, 08:58

It can take up to a couple of weeks to get everything back in sync, so don't be too alarmed if you don't see any eggs for a little while.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

sarah0817

Post by sarah0817 » 05 Aug 2014, 22:52

Hi all

Happy to announce that nugget has started laying eggs!