Four hens equals five eggs

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tazzie

Four hens equals five eggs

Post by Tazzie » 21 Jul 2014, 09:12

Hi all

So this morning I goes to the coop as normal and opens the nest box to my supprise theres five egg, we have four hens two black rocks and two speckled hens.
I only cleaned out the coop yesterday afternoon and we had four eggs that morning, so I can rules out not seeing one egg the day before.
Is it commen for a hen to lay two eggs in one day also has anyone else had the same thing happen?

Thanks
Tazzie

CP

Re: Four hens equals five eggs

Post by CP » 21 Jul 2014, 12:13

It can happen sometimes.

Usually, but not always, the odd egg is smaller, deformed or has a thin or no shell. All are perfectly OK to eat, though in the case of 'no shell' that might prove a little difficult! :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

wolfpup
Chick
Chick

Re: Four hens equals five eggs

Post by wolfpup » 06 Aug 2014, 13:32

I got 8 new girls last month at POL, 4 started laying last week, and the others I thought would be coming into lay within a few days. On Saturday I got a shock, hubby got three eggs at 5.30am when cleaning out the coops - all small and one was broken, but throughout the day I picked up another 8 eggs - making 11 in total. I check for eggs almost hourly with a final check when putting them to bed - so again I am sure nothing had been missed (four the previous day)

Since then I am getting 6 or 7 eggs a day from the 8 girls - which I am happy about bearing in mind they have only just started laying. I think it was just a hiccup with probably one hen (eggs are slightly different colours and all three initial eggs were identical colour).