Run floor

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Run floor

Post by Kelly-salmon » 01 Nov 2013, 18:03

Hi I recently changed my run flooring from wood chipping to pea shingle to help stop it from getting so wet because we are low on the water table but after all this wet weather it is still getting puddles in it the won't drain away very easily is there anything else I can try without costing me too much more money is very short

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Re: Run floor

Post by Gilly C » 01 Nov 2013, 18:18

did you dig the ground over first and put a membrane down before the gravel, soil tends to get a crust on try forking it see if the water runs away

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 01 Nov 2013, 18:32

Yeah that was all done and a lot of what was in there was dug out

amianne
Chick
Chick

Post by amianne » 01 Nov 2013, 18:54

Hi
I dug a little trench across hen run to drain water away, works a treat but will depend on the lay of your land.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 05 Nov 2013, 10:33

Chuck some sharp sand on the gravel. It'll gradually filter through and improve the drainage beneath it. Sharp sand is about £12 for 200kg from Wickes.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.