bloody neighbours help needed

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

bloody neighbours help needed

Post by Kelly-salmon » 04 Oct 2013, 17:24

I raised some chicks they are light sussex about 17 weeks old before I thought about breeding I spoke to my neightbours and asked would they mind if I had a cockerel they said no it wasn't a problem now since they have fallen out with my mum and dad they are saying that they have changed their minds and they don't want cockerals next door well two out of the 6 I raised look very much like cockerals and I have been told to get rid of them even though they are not crowing yet I am trying to keep the peace for my dads sake he has terminal cancer so I have agreed to get rid of them is there anyone near to me or willing to travel who can offer these guys a home they are not nasty and are used to being handled

NannyP

Re: bloody neighbours help needed

Post by NannyP » 04 Oct 2013, 19:51

Whereabouts are you Kelly? Sorry to hear about your dad xx

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 04 Oct 2013, 19:54

Aww what a shame, your neighbours sound awful, I do feel for you. I was under the impression you can only have 1 cockerel with a flock as they will fight? I already have 1 cock and I probably live miles away from you anyway but I do hope you get things sorted. x

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 04 Oct 2013, 19:54

West sussex

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 04 Oct 2013, 19:56

Mine aren't old enough at the moment they are not even crowing yet but you can tell they are boys they have huge wattles and very chunky legs

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 04 Oct 2013, 20:36

I can't help with re-homing, but sometimes simply asking those neighbours who have changed their minds whether they will cull for you, or know somebody who will, can bring about a remarkable change of attitude. Of course, you might be really unlucky and find that one can and will - in which case say you'll ask them as soon as one starts crowing.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 04 Oct 2013, 21:31

it is only one side the other side likes the sound of my birds they say that's why they moved to the country and are thinking of getting some of their own I don't really want to start saying things like that It is likely to inflame the problem and I am trying to reduce the stress for dad I just want him to be able to relax and be able to rest without all this happening they have already been round again asking what and when I am going to do about them

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 04 Oct 2013, 22:09

How dare they pester you again, haven't they got any empathy for your families situation!! The cocks haven't even started making any noise and there complaining. Some people make my blood boil!

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 04 Oct 2013, 22:11

Kelly no neighbours can make you get rid of your cockerels especially when they haven't even crowed yet - no matter what they may say.

A number of complaints have to be logged with the local council first, and even then they may be required to record the volume before deciding to take action.

Don't allow yourself to be bullied by these unfeeling idiots ! :angryfire:

( So sorry to hear of your dad's illness :( )
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 04 Oct 2013, 22:31

That's guys but to avoid any extra stress to dad I have been asked to comply

Sanbeer
Chick
Chick

Post by Sanbeer » 05 Oct 2013, 01:54

Sorry about your dad. I can't help you cause I live overseas but I hope someone can give these fellas a nice home.
Sandra

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 05 Oct 2013, 11:56

Well, in view of your dad's illness and the ongoing troubles with your neighbours...which is causing stress to you also - I'd say - get rid of the cockerels now and then, when circumstances have changed, start again with keeping cockerels. Peace of mind is more important now - both to you and your dad...there will always be other cockerels in the future. This is not giving in to your neighbours, by any means, it's just easing the situation for the time being.

So sorry to hear about your dad. I know exactly how you all are feeling. Just keep everything and everybody calm and peaceful for now.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 05 Oct 2013, 12:35

I echo Diane's advice .... you don't need troubles with neighbours, you have enough on your plate. Perhaps ringing your local paper and putting a notice in as well might help. Alternately, with my mischievous hat on, you could ask them if they might like to do an article on you and your dad and that he has to get rid of the cockerels - papers love a human interest story and they are often short of copy, plus of course you advertise the cockerels for sale. And of course shame your (unnamed) neighbours but they will know who they are!
Good luck!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..