Demon hen

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Demon hen

Post by jillychick » 10 Sep 2013, 09:49

11 days ago I introduced 3 new pol hens into my flock of 5. my lovely quiet beautiful friendly Lucy (which is an amber) has gone demonic! I can't really understand why? she has always been the shy one and was bottom of the pecking order. The one I expected the trouble from (molly my white leg horn) seems fine with them. the 2 black tails are ok most of the time, pepper (a black rock x who knows what) is starting to get nasty as well, but I think she's copping Lucy. it is fortunate that the new birds have not got clipped wings as they can get up to the higher perches Lucy can't reach. the problem is that they are staying up there and are reluctant to come down. I have set up a food and water station out of Lucy's way which they seem to like and the new birds have there own coop which they use. will they settle down eventually as I would very much like to see them all happy together. my new birds are another amber and 2 copper head marans. :help:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Re: Demon hen

Post by laffinfowl » 10 Sep 2013, 10:02

Things should eventually settle down and once you know the new birds are eating/drinking ok then they should be fine,if they have plenty of space to avoid the bullying hen and no blood is drawn then i,d just let them get on with it.
An armfull of straw in the run with a bit of grain scattered on top or a couple of hanging cabbages are useful distractions when introducing new birds too. Give it time,a few feathers might fly for a week or so,so don,t be too quick to intervene unless as i said blood is drawn then the pecking order should be established after maybe a couple of weeks.
Any time i put a hen thats been brooding chicks back into the main flock i normally get a week of rejigging the order no matter where that hen was in the pecking order and i normally just leave them to it.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 10 Sep 2013, 11:00

thank you I will leave them to it. I put greens etc in every day. I'm hoping its just a time thing. they have plenty of room to get out the way and lots of high perches. what do I do if they draw blood?

duhh I have just noticed my topic is posted in the wrong section :oops:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 10 Sep 2013, 11:38

That depends on how much of a pest they are ;)

The standard treatment when blood is drawn is to separate the victim from the flock, and apply some genitian violet spray (purple spray as it's commonly called). This is a good antibiotic, and also averts hens attention as they don't attack the colour purple, like they would the colour red. If it's one particular hen doing all the bullying, maybe try sin-binning them for a week in a dog crate or similar (as used for breaking broodies), and just keep them fed and watered for a few-days to a week, then re-introduce. The upset of the pecking order can usually be enough to re-jig them all and stop the bullying threat. Sometimes though, it doesn't, and that's just the way it is with some hens and more permanent solutions might need to be applied, like re-homing or culling. All being well though, it will iron itself out, and usually does in 90% of cases.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 10 Sep 2013, 11:48

thanks just needed to know. they are ok for now as they can get out the way. I will get some violet spay just in case. how long does it normally take for things to settle down? I was thinking about a month?

drfish

Post by drfish » 10 Sep 2013, 12:04

Usually just a couple of weeks. Depends on the scale of the squabbling really.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 10 Sep 2013, 12:13

well mine have been in 2 weeks on Friday and she's still at it so will have to sin bin her next week if all not settled down. she's def not going to like that!

drfish

Post by drfish » 10 Sep 2013, 12:15

It's all for the greater good. If it is just the one bully, then give it a bash. It can't hurt to try at least.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

subruss

Post by subruss » 11 Sep 2013, 18:20

The problem here is not the poor hen its you for introducing new birds and then not understanding the effects, she is not a bully or demonic, you said she was already the bottom of the pecking order now the poor girl has a load of newcomers who threaten her position even more, she is fighting for her position in the world and your answer is lock her away which will only make her situation even worse.You should remove the new hens and keep them in a run next to the old hens and slowly introduce them, if possible on neutral ground and a little bit at a time.Think CHICKEN look at it from her point of view :( :thumbright:

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 12 Sep 2013, 13:44

Thanks I feel really guilty now I love my hens . Things are a little better to day but will consider moving them

NCOTB
Pullet
Pullet

Post by NCOTB » 23 Sep 2013, 03:53

Hows things now?

As Subruss says, introduce them slowly. have them all in view of one another so they get used to each other.
I always isolate any new chickens for 2 weeks (just in case of any nasties) even if they are from someone I know. The move alone can cause them stress & bring out things.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 23 Sep 2013, 15:23

Thanks guys all input is very much appreciated, I am learning something new every day. They are all a lot more settled now one of the copper heads is now laying so they must be a lot happier although Lucy still has The occasional mood swing towards the newbies no blood was drawn. It was a real shock to see her behave as badly as that. Many thanks for the advice

drfish

Post by drfish » 23 Sep 2013, 16:13

They can be extremely vicious little b***ards when they want to be. Food for thought for future reference though, if you do intend on adding to the ranks. Admittedly my advice was more reactive, than proactive, but what Subruss said is bang on the mark.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.