Think I have a broody pekin...further advice needed please

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Think I have a broody pekin...further advice needed please

Post by Kate1978 » 21 May 2013, 18:20

When I got home from work this evening, Sweetpea my pekin was sat on two eggs in the nest box. (She is normally in the run waiting for me to get home from work). One egg was not hers. She came out for treats but just recently she has been making a continual low 'cluck'. After a bit of roaming I noticed she kept fluffing herself up and pecking the ground. She has now gone back into the coop and is in the nest box (minus the eggs as I took them out).

Does this sound like a broody hen? And do I need to do anything?

Further advice needed....I have ordered a cheap small dog crate incase i need to get my pekin off broody. If I do need to put her in the crate can she still remain in the main run. I only have one other pekin so am worried she will miss her mate.

Broody came out this morning for some food and water but then went straight back on the nest.
Last edited by Kate1978 on 22 May 2013, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

Sanbeer
Chick
Chick

Re: Think I have a broody pekin...

Post by Sanbeer » 21 May 2013, 18:36

Oh yes she's broody.

It depends on what you want? Do you want more chickens and do you have fertile eggs? If so give her a little place for her self.
If you don't want more chickens then lift her off the nest and close the nestbox, you might have to repeat this for a few days....
Sandra

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Post by Kate1978 » 21 May 2013, 18:44

Probably a daft question....I presume I need to have a cockerel to have fertile eggs? I dont have one.

I can take the nest box out but where will my other non broody pekin lay? Would she lay anywhere? On the coop floor or outside?

Sorry for the daft questions :?

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 21 May 2013, 20:17

If you don't want fertile eggs, you'll need to break her from her broody state. Do a search on here for "breaking a broody" and you'll find all you need to know about how to do it. My Pekin has just gone broody, and I have probably got some eggs I can put under her, as I want to increase my LF stock. It's only about 10 weeks since she hatched out a couple of chicks, so she's keen to get on with it again :grin:

Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Post by Kate1978 » 21 May 2013, 20:43

Thanks NannyP....Do you think a cat carrier would be ok or shall I purchase a broody coop? Or can I just remove the nest box?

Sanbeer
Chick
Chick

Post by Sanbeer » 21 May 2013, 20:46

Kate1978 wrote:Probably a daft question....I presume I need to have a cockerel to have fertile eggs? I dont have one.

I can take the nest box out but where will my other non broody pekin lay? Would she lay anywhere? On the coop floor or outside?

Sorry for the daft questions :?

Yes for fertile eggs you need a cockerel. Or you need to buy some from someone...

It's not a daft question at all it's a learning proces when you're new to chickens... ( most people here who don't have pets at all always ask me IF pullets can lay without a cockerel)

My question for you is, what would you want? More chickens and expand your flock or not?
Sandra

Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Post by Kate1978 » 21 May 2013, 21:09

A little while ago I was thinking about getting 2 or 3 more pekins of a similar age to mine but changed my mind as I'm going to have IVF treatment soon and that will be quite stressful so decided against getting any more girlies. I know I only have 2 and would love some more but think it would be better to just stick with 2.

So to answer your question...no, I dont want any more at the moment.

Just need to decide on how to best deal with my broody :?

Sanbeer
Chick
Chick

Post by Sanbeer » 21 May 2013, 21:44

Ok now I am not familiar with what is most adviced on this site. There for you could use the search function.

Now what I used to do.... Put then broody one in a cat carrier with nothing in it. My broody one stoppen after four days. I picked her out of the carrier daily to eat and drink. But she got fed up with it :).

And good luck with treatment, I hope to read some good news in a while!
Sandra

Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Re: Think I have a broody pekin...further advice needed plea

Post by Kate1978 » 22 May 2013, 16:44

Further questions are in my original post....not very easy to do on a phone.

Midnightuk
Chick
Chick

Post by Midnightuk » 22 May 2013, 17:27

No advice about the broody but just wanted to wish you all the best for the ivf :)

chuck1

Post by chuck1 » 23 May 2013, 00:41

Forget about the other one feeling lonely and concentrate on getting the one off broody as it should only take days. If you use the cat crate, you'll need to put it somewhere out of the rain and raise it off the floor a bit. You can feed her in the crate if there's room or take her out once a day.

Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Post by Kate1978 » 23 May 2013, 07:29

Thanks chuck...i have ordered a wire mesh dog crate from the net....in the meantime can i remove the nest box from my coop?

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 23 May 2013, 08:57

Just block it off with a bit of wood for now. Or shut the door to the coop if they are safe enough and sheltered. If the other wants to lay, she'll find somewhere outside and do it. When ya gotta go.... :grin:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Post by Kate1978 » 23 May 2013, 09:06

Thanks drfish...Sorry for all the questions....if I shut the door to the coop do I still put my naughty broody in the dog crate (once it gets delivered)? And if I do does she stay in there 24/7? :crybaby:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 23 May 2013, 09:46

If keeping her out doesn't break her, then yes, continue with the crate. 24/7 if she has food and water in there with her, otherwise, let her out to feed and drink every few hours. Doesn't matter overnight though, they don't eat or drink overnight. Give it a few days, and she'll probably be fed up with the whole situation then, and stop being naughty :grin:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.