What to do with raw sheep fleeces?

Moderator: Moderators

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

What to do with raw sheep fleeces?

Post by brooksidepoultry » 27 Jul 2010, 09:07

Hiya basically I've been offered a couple of raw sheeps wool fleeces but havent got a clue what to do with them, except for maybe spinning? many thanks ann xx
A country lass who loves it all x.

AlexArt

Re: What to do with raw sheep fleeces?

Post by AlexArt » 27 Jul 2010, 22:31

Depends on the breed of sheep and length of staple if it will be suitable for spinning - also how clean it is! Most fleece is suitable for felt making - google how to do it, it's also quite good for keeping the frost off delicate plants over winter, we just leave ours out for the birds as it is worth nothing nowadays though!

millipup

Post by millipup » 27 Jul 2010, 23:32

:grin: as well as being spun or used to make felt, clean, combed or carded fleece can be woven into mats or wall-hangings ,used to pad out quilting. ...makes a great bio-degradeable (eventually )mulch to keep weeds at bay or to line hanging baskets . (The village nearest to me houses the National Woolen Museum !!! )

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 27 Jul 2010, 23:52

loft insulation! (apparently)

CP

Post by CP » 28 Jul 2010, 03:26

I believe you can get duvets made with wool now too. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Post by brooksidepoultry » 28 Jul 2010, 10:41

Hmm the plant thing sounds good but I was just thinking crafty sort of things will find out what breed & quality they are x
A country lass who loves it all x.

millipup

Post by millipup » 28 Jul 2010, 12:44

:grin: Any form of weaving is fairly easy ,- you need to pull the wool into lengths off the fleece and give it a bit of a twist ,but spinning it is not as critical as it is for knitting !

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 31 Jul 2010, 07:29

mine are combed ,,and then spun with a drop spindle during the winter ,i perfure to spin in the raw ,and then made into scarves ,ect
suz
rose comb white dorking nut